spoutmouth

Reply with quote  #16 
Thanks for giving me some suggestions.

I'll peruse the forum again.

M
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #17 
Found it: http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4315
If link goes awry, 5th page of gen. disc. may 2008. There's a hole thread with links to instructive pics, where the subject is actually a sarod, but method is similar. Apart from all that comes with first time trials, with a sarangi you'll mostly have a negative angle on one side when you pull the skin over the edge of the belly, meaning you have to press it inside, towards the backsloping side to firmly press the skin onto the glue-area. This one of the many things you have to incalculate and prepare for, as when you get going you really have no time for fuck-ups.

As for dealing with the practical upkeep of our instruments: personally for the life of me I can not understand how some intelligent and good musicians are helpless in regards to keeping their instrument in proper playing condition.
OK most people bring their car to a professional for obvious reasons, cars have moved out of the diy-scene a long long time ago, but I suppose in the early days you needed to be some sort of mechanic to get and keep 'm going, and if not, to at least be able to find out what's wrong and get you home or at least somewhere. Obviously, there are limits to everything, a violin player needs to check and keep their bridges straight up and if not fix it, but you would not expect them to make a new bridge if it collapsed and broke. It would be very good and most enjoyable to musicians and listeners if musicians know how to get the best out of their instrument and are able to keep it safe and sound. It might also become a huge distraction, keeping you busy along some modification-syndrome scheme and keep you from practising, so it really depends. I suppose some might prefer to focus on the music and keep close relations with their jivari-walla's or whatever..
spoutmouth

Reply with quote  #18 
Thank you for taking the time to post the link and give some tips - I'll enjoy reading that thread - esoteric knowledge indeed!

Agree with your thoughts on instrument care vs technical fetishism/distraction.
Easy to waste precious practice time with 'tinkering' at the expense of the 'music'.
Hi-fi system fetish can be a bit like this - more time on the medium than the message - 'mea culpa' in the past ops:
Is it something with males only??

There is a balance - as with so many things!

M
acdcvc

Reply with quote  #19 
I am in need of a sarangi repair. The goat skin has split so I will need a new one and I assume this involves all new strings. as well I am in central Connecticut. Any ideas where I can get it repaired? I would be willing to send it some where. Thanks, Jeff
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.