INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #1 
SARANGI BOOKS : -

Anybody having access to any of these by chance ? Thanks in advance for any response.

1. Sorrell, Neil F. The North Indian Classical Sarangi: Its Technique and Role . (1980)

2. Neuman, Daniel M. (1990) [1980]. The Life of Music in North India. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-57516-0.

3. Narayan, Ram (2009) (in Hindi). एक सुर मेरा एक सारंगी का [A tune of mine, one of the sarangi]. New Delhi: Kitabghar Prakashan. ISBN 81-907221-2-3
ragamala

Reply with quote  #2 
It seems the Neil Sorrell was a PhD dissertation at the Welseyan University rather than a book. I doubt it has been formally published.

You could try sending him an email, his email address is on the web site page
http://www.york.ac.uk/music/staff/academic/neil-sorrell/
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #3 
The Newman book is available on Amazon, far as I know.

Reply with quote  #4 
OM GUY
Thanks for the tip.

Dr K,
I have ordered a (cheap) second-hand copy of the Newman book. It may not arrive before I go to Italy, so I can't promise any scans or anything.
BUT if I come to Ahmedabad again for next Saptak I will bring it for you.

Best
Alan
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #5 
Dear Alan, Thanks for your prompt response, as always. I appreciate you love for Sarangi & for people around it at large.
bosmart

Reply with quote  #6 
Sorry for answering so late. I have photocopies of Neuman's Life of music in North India and Sorell's North Indian classical sarangi. Both are around 300 pages. I could scan them. What do you prefer?
Hans Bosma
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #7 
Wow!!!! Please let me know if you do scan any or both.

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Mr. Bosma, i wish i could jump to your place. I do not know which could be less time consuming to you. Scanning or sending photo copies by routine post, anything is much appreciated. I will pay for the expense you incur for this. Still better i can give you the address of my student in france. He will manage it further. Thanks again for your willingness.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #9 
My copy of the Neuman arrived this morning. Just in time for me to take to Italy.

So Dr K you will be very welcome to have this, as I said, in due course!

Maybe Hans you could concentrate efforts on the rarer first!
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #10 
Dear Mr. Alan,

So nice of you. That is indeed good idea. You are just on the "sum" before leaving for Italy.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.