INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
povster

Reply with quote  #1 
I am curious what folks who have a rudra vin use to transport it. Not on an airplane but to travel locally by car. Do you have a special case/cases? Just wrap the dande and gourds in heavy cloth? Just trying to get ideas here. Thanks.
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #2 
Al I can say is that Bahauddin travel with custommade cases (actually custom made for his late dad); heavy as hell, made from polyester, more or less unionshaped. There were really falling apart and he told me he wanted them repaired. The tumba's were in large soft bags before he put them in the case as extra protection.

I remember sitting in a bike riksha in Benared, guarding one tumbo...Bahauddin the other one and the dandi (actually during the trainride he had the veena in his bed, while he slept on the floor of the train). The veena is a rather unwieldy instrument!!

Have you actually thought about large tom or bassdrumcases (I asume a brand like SKB has cases like that)

Remco

edit:
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?c=77
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Surbaharplayer"
Al I can say is that Bahauddin travel with custommade cases (actually custom made for his late dad); heavy as hell, made from polyester, more or less unionshaped. There were really falling apart and he told me he wanted them repaired. The tumba's were in large soft bags before he put them in the case as extra protection.

I remember sitting in a bike riksha in Benared, guarding one tumbo...Bahauddin the other one and the dandi (actually during the trainride he had the veena in his bed, while he slept on the floor of the train). The veena is a rather unwieldy instrument!!

Have you actually thought about large tom or bassdrumcases (I asume a brand like SKB has cases like that)

Remco

edit:
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?c=77
Actually I was looking at some commercial drum cases. May go that route but wanted to get a feel for more custom things. My landlady is a professional seamstress. She has the basement of my apratment building turned into a high end sewing area with machine touch enough to sew concrete (well, almost). I may get some ideas from her - heck may comission her to make a case - actually three cases: one for each gourd and one for the dande. I am thinking a tough thick material like black denim or canvas sandwhiching thick foam. Should be good for car travel and light enough.

I was also looking at ski bags for the dandi. But the lengths werre just too long overall and the bags themselves a bit unwieldy. When i ultimately finalize on something I shall post.

Still soliciting ideas, though.

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #4 
For air travel for a VIn you might have to go to Avil and get them to make you a custom fit set of cases.
http://www.anvilcase.com/
I do know that when they make a case it is perfect for the hardships of the road.
I am going to get a sitar case made by them.
I bought the best fiber glass case available for a sitar and I am not fully comfortable with taking it on an airplane.
Even the top sitar cases have elements that seem cheaper than they should.
Mine was already cracked on the bottom when I got it from Fed Ex.
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #5 
Povster - Unless your prepared to spend some serious bucks for Anvil or custom etc.(great stuff Anvil if your on the road - I have quite a few anvil cases some are 25+ years old & other than road scars there still great) & If your looking for local transport the SKB route is excellant. I bought one for the XL top gourd on the "RudraTar" WORKS GREAT - definately heavy duty protection even if you have to add a little foam or bubble wrap for a snug fit. For the dandi I would check out a descent gun case. Length will be easy, I am sure you could find one not too snug or easily customized for a proper fit. If you've got a local shop for the SKB at a deal check with them about a band instrument bag case that might fit :?: Might do the trick for a descent price - Hope that helps.

Hamletsghost 8)
ps: if you go anvil or custom make sure they line it so the raw foam won't stick to your varnish.

Reply with quote  #6 
Years back in LA, Aloke Das Gupta had an Anvil case made for his double tumba sitar. Great box! Armor plated! Built like a tank! It also weighed a ton. It was big and bulky, as in coffin needing 6 - 8 pallbearers to schlepp. I watched this behemoth go up the ramp into the plane. It looked like it needed a flag draped over it. It traveled one time. After that, it became Alokes new dining room table. A table cloth was draped over it and served very well in that capacity. It's status now - unknown. This Anvil box will indeed protect the sitar. To keep the Anvil people happy and damage claim free, it will be oversized to protect the instrument and themselves. It seems you may want to see if they or similar company can make a case more like the current fiberglass numbers available, perhaps a bit thicker and more padded but still retaining some kind of practical portability. Happy researching !!!

Reply with quote  #7 
I found a really good possiblity for the tumbas: a duffel bag on wheels. Many out there and rather inexpensive (as in under $50). Some have very generous dimensions that would allow for quite thick foram padding. A single duffel bag would hold both tumbas and also has some pockets for accessories. Again - this is for car travel and portability, not plane travel.

I could also see a hard case being built to accomodate the duffel so if I DO fly with the vin, just remove the duffel from the case for on the go travel.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.