INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jesworthy

Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone know of a reliable source for Rudra veena strings? I've ordered online from 2 different places and been sent the wrong string sets (way too thin in the bass). Any ideas as to where to get a set of strings for a Dagar-style veena? Any help would be appreciated. Abdullatif, are you out there? I corresponded with you a few times before my last computer died.
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
It would be good to see Suvir's take as well.

It may be best to just buy the strings by the coil. That's what I do (except for the karaj). I am using the following:

main (bajtar) - 7 gauge steel
sa (joditar) - 22 gauge brass or bronze
pancham - I am currently using 28 gauge bronze but am awaiting 30gauge as I find the 28 is a wee bit too thin - at least for my vin
karaj - I use a fine wound 40gauge brass tampura string. I order them 6 at a time. I will be experimenting with 40 gauge unwound shortly.
chicaris - 3 steel
laraj - 22 or 28 bronze depending on how it sounds

As a reference to the "gauge" I use - the 22gauge and 28gauge are used on the sitar for the pancham (22) and karaj (28). The 3 gauge steel is what is used on sitar as the main playing string (bajtar).

Places like the Ali Akbar Store or Sitarsetc or Keshav Music should be able to supply strings in coils and in individual lengths, assuming you are in the US. Otherwise let us know where you are and others can offer suggestions.

It may serve you well to try ordering just a couple of individual strings in and arouind these gauges if you can. Avoid a "set" as many sets, as you found, have odd gauges. Try the different gauges to determine what will work best with your particular instrument. The vin is a bit different from the sitar in the respect that tuning can be all over - generally from F to A , whereas the sitar is pretty much locked into C# with a range of C - D. So the broader tuning range of the vin may reveal certain gauges sound best at certain tunings. It may sound like a pain to order a couple of individual strings but over time I think the experimenting will be worth it, as you settle on the right gauge and can then order by the coil.

A tip - if you have any of those small packets of silica gel (you find them packed in anything from vitamin pills to cameras - to absorb moisture during shipping and warehouse storage) save them. Put one or two small ones in the container where your strings are. They reduce moisture and help prevent rust over time. I've had some coils going on two years now that are just like new.

westsea

Reply with quote  #3 
Probably the best source for strings is:
http://www.fortepiano.com/ in Ashland, Oregon U.S.A.

Lutz is helpful and has everything you need. His website could use
some work. Page down a few and there is a working link for his email
(and other working links).
This link gets you close:
http://www.fortepiano.com/harp.htm

A recommended set for a Dagar style veena is:
Laraj 0.0225" Phosphor bronze wire
Karaj 0.051" Phosphor bronze wire
Pa 0.036" Phosphor bronze wire
Sa Phosphor bronze wire 0.0285"
Ma Roeslau music wire 0.018"
Chikaris Roeslau music wire 0.013"
Roeslau music wire 0.013"
Roeslau music wire 0.011"

I hope this helps.
westsea

Reply with quote  #4 
Here is the link that lists Rudra Veena gauges (at the bottom)

http://www.fortepiano.com/wire_files/strindian.htm

These gauges are definitely for a Dagar style instrument.

A more traditional, lighter construction would take something more like:
Laraj 0.0215" Phosphor bronze wire
Karaj 0.039" Phosphor bronze wire
Pa 0.0275" Phosphor bronze wire
Sa 0.0215" Phosphor bronze wire
Ma 0.0145" Roeslau music wire
Roeslau music wire 0.0105"

Abdullatif is with us, but having serious health issues. I'll let him know
you asked for him.
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "westsea"
A more traditional, lighter construction would take something more like:
Laraj 0.0215" Phosphor bronze wire
Karaj 0.039" Phosphor bronze wire
Pa 0.0275" Phosphor bronze wire
Sa 0.0215" Phosphor bronze wire
Ma 0.0145" Roeslau music wire
Good call, west. I missed the reference to Dagar style. My vin is Asad Ali style, definitely lighter than the Dagar. The specs you cite above are VERY close to what I have been working with. Not sure about the Ma - I am using "7 gauge steel" but not sure of the diameter. I am ordering a micrometer soon. As a reference I use 3 gauge steel on sitar and 5 gauge on the surbahar.

jesworthy

Reply with quote  #6 
Wow! Thanks everybody for the speedy replies. I'm still trying to sort out string gauges for this veena, which I think falls somewhere in between a Dagar-style and an Asad Ali Khan style instrument. I also need to string up my "experiment" ( a veena I made from PVC pipe). I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the link to fortepiano.com - I think he'll have what I'm looking for. Thanks again for the good advice.

Jeff
povster

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jesworthy"
Wow! Thanks everybody for the speedy replies. I'm still trying to sort out string gauges for this veena, which I think falls somewhere in between a Dagar-style and an Asad Ali Khan style instrument. I also need to string up my "experiment" ( a veena I made from PVC pipe). I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the link to fortepiano.com - I think he'll have what I'm looking for. Thanks again for the good advice.

Jeff
A PVC vin - really intriquing. I have been speculating on the same lines but also wondering about fiberglass. Serious question - are you using a t-tube as the tumba bracket? Won;t ask any more than that but reveal all you feel comfortable. If you decide to, please make it a separate topic. Vin construction is fascinating me more and more.

westsea

Reply with quote  #8 
Here's a handy page for converting string gauges.
http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/catalogue/piano_wire_strings/index.html

A #7 string is 0.018"
povster

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks West! I have been looking on the internet for something like that. Very handy indeed.
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi all,

In general, all necessary strings for Indian instruments can be had through harpsichord parts retailers. I can recommend http://www.vogel-scheer.de who ship worldwide.
martinuddin
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.