INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mike hooker

Reply with quote  #1 
does anyone have the veena book by marcotty, have one for sale, or know where to get it? any other good books on veena?

thanks
musicslug

Reply with quote  #2 
I have the Marcotty book. I've never seen another one offered for sale. while it's very much worth having for the wealth of info it has about veenas, it's not a 'how to play' book at all (there aren't any).

if you are a member of a library, you can request an interlibrary loan. I was able to borrow a copy that way before I found the copy I bought.

Daniel
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #3 
There are rumors that the Marcotty book will be reprinted. It's an intresting read, though I'm sure a lot of people will find it a little too far out. My copy was a generous gift from Abdul Latif.

There is also the book from Hindraj Divekar which I would advise you to stay away from; big dissapointment.

A nice book is the Gloires des Princes-book; a coffeetable book, stunning pictures, but in french. It's a catalogue of an exhibition on Indian instruments.

There's also some info in the Dhrupad-book from Ritwick Sanyal; a good book on dhrupad in general and the Dagar-bani in particular. Since studying with the Dagar-family I've come to realise the importance of vocal music (in regard to studying instrumental music). It can be quite a challenge to copy the vocal phrases, but it's a great way to look at the music from another angle. The only problem is that vocal compositions are a bit tricky (mainly the position on the instrument makes it difficult a improvise and go back to the composition). But there are several (instrumental) gats available for intruments on CDs.

So most of the info I got is either through Bahauddin, the internet and heresay, I'm afraid.
musicslug

Reply with quote  #4 
I completely agree with Remco about the Sanyal/Widdess book ('Dhrupad') - it's got a lot of information - definitely the most comprehensive book about Dhrupad for English speakers; you can get this one through inter-library loan also - it's expensive (and it won't tell you a thing about how to play vina).

one more: Deepak Raja's book, 'Hindustani Music - a Tradition in Transition', which has a chapter on rudra vina.
cabaray

Reply with quote  #5 
I have a book called Rudra Veena an ancient string musical instrument by Pandit Hindraj Divekar and Robin D. Tribhuan. Its about 80 pages and I cant say that its really informative as far as technique or how to, Although its mostly about the vina quite a few chapters are devoted to descriptions of other Indian instruments and ICM in general. Which is fine but I get the impression that its mostly filler, It does have some picture plates in the center of the book and ten lessons in both English and Hindi. By lessons they mean simple notation for 10 ragas. I know I probably sound luke warm about the book but there just aren't that many books dealing the Rudra Veena so it is worthwhile addition, sort of.?!
alam123

Reply with quote  #6 
I have got a photocopied version of T. Marcotty's book - but I do not have the CD's that came with it.

Reply with quote  #7 
starting on August 5th I will offer a NOS, new old stock, copy of the Book
" The Way-Music" How to conjure with sounds
Rudra Veena : The Theory and Technique of Tantric Music
By Thomas Marcotty.
ISBN 88-900002-0-1
Decisio Editrice S.A.
The Book is new and unread but package and book have some smal yellow/brown spots from age. It comes in original package with a never played C-90 musicassette
and digitized copy from the cassette on cd I made from another copy.
I will offer this book on http://www.ebay.de
If you have any questions in advance, don't hesitate to ask
My e-mail address is: dwbt@netcologne.de
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #8 
rudraveena.org

You may want to investigate this website......perhaps someone who is listed on that site could be contacted who may just know where to obtain this book, as well.

What the hay, right? :roll: :wink:

Reply with quote  #9 
Investigate ebay Germany?

I think this is just an individual copy being offered.

Keep searching the rare books sites.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #10 
.....no.......... rudraveena.org ....

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi,
because mi digital camera is "on strike", I can not post the book today on ebay.de.
So I will do this on the weekend.
BTW. Its not a copy but the original Book.

Thomas
putney22

Reply with quote  #12 
I posted the book now on ebay.
Just follow the link:
http://cgi.ebay.de/The-Way-Music-by-Thomas-Marcotty-NEW-Rudra-Vina-rare-/160466009800?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Sach_Fachb%C3%BCcher&hash=item255c84fec8
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.