INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
wilsaxo

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone know of any players of the Rudra Veena in the Northeast USA? I love what I have heard in recordings and would like to hear it played live. I am also very close to trying to buy one and learn to play it.

David
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
I've got a couple of them here in Durham, NC if you want to drive down and check out. The Kanai Lal is ridiculously overpriced but up for grabs. I have a basket case rude veena that will need tons of work but also up for grabs. Until recently, I could have had one made up for you from my subcontracted shop in India. As a result of the most recent back stabbing from there, Such an instrument is no longer possible to obtain. Anyway. eMail me if you're interested. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #3 
hi david,

Peter Row is an excellent sitarist and rudra bin player. he lives in Amherst, mass. check out his website: peterrow.com

best,

jf

povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Wilsaxo - Peter Row is in the Boston area. He studied sitar and rudra vin with Gokul Nag (Vishnipur gharana) for several year in India. Check his web site for upcoming concerts. He does keep it updated.

http://www.peterrow.com/

wilsaxo

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you both, povster and Nav Das for the Peter Row info. It looks like I just missed a concert on April 20. I'll keep watching for the next one.

David
wilsaxo

Reply with quote  #6 
Sorry Naad Das for mispelling.

David
Kragnorak

Reply with quote  #7 
GopalMeera (username) has some great veena lessons posted on youtube; do a search on there! Even though he's not playing the rudra veen, that's who I am going to contact first if I get one (I'm in the same boat as wilsaxo) as he is also in the tri-state area and seems like a wonderful teacher.
povster

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kragnorak"
GopalMeera (username) has some great veena lessons posted on youtube; do a search on there! Even though he's not playing the rudra veen, that's who I am going to contact first if I get one (I'm in the same boat as wilsaxo) as he is also in the tri-state area and seems like a wonderful teacher.
Hi Kragnorak! Will you be extrapolating from the South Indian Veena and applying to Rudra Vin?

Kragnorak

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kragnorak"
Hi Kragnorak! Will you be extrapolating from the South Indian Veena and applying to Rudra Vin?
That's actually something I'm still trying to figure out. The sound of the Rudra Veena and Surbahar both resonate very strongly with me, but the vin has wonderful phrasing possibilities (not sure how to word) and so that's the instrument I'd love to get my hands on the most.

As far as style goes, I was indeed thinking of learning some basic perspectives on vins in general and extrapolating as you say. At the same time I must begin a journey to grok the dhrupad style which is so beautifully performed on the lower instruments.

I'm mostly a bass guitarist with an unorthodox style, so I would end up applying that eventually, but I believe in learning traditionally before launching into space.
povster

Reply with quote  #10 
At the same time I must begin a journey to grok the dhrupad style which is so beautifully performed on the lower instruments.

Yes, "grok" is more accurate than just "learn" here.

As I have said before about the sitar, it is not so much "learning to play rudra vin" but learning how to handle the rudra vin in order to play the music. I'm not sure, especially if you do want to start doing druphad on the vin, how much good will come out of extrapolating from the Carnatic veena. You may find yourself picking up some bad techniques early on you would have to unlearn. A very tricky grind this is.

Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #11 
Aside from the differences between the rudra veena and the carnatic veena, there is also a massive difference between the traditional veena (Asad Ali Khan) and the Dagar-veena (Z.M. & Bahauddin Dagar). Posture, right- and lefthand fingering, position of the hands (the lefthandthumb on the dagarveena doesn't touch the neck). The traditional righthand technique is a two fingertechnique (plus the chikaris played by the pinky), Bahauddin's technique is a 3 finger technique (plus the pinky). The main reason is the shift in angle of the instrument. Perhaps Beenkar Suvir can explain more on this...

Here you can see the lefthand posture of Bahauddin's left hand

Before taking the plunge be sure what you want....

Remco
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi all,
I noticed in the various posts also some interest in the Carnatic instrument, about which I would like to refer to the webpages of the excellent musician Shreevidhya Chandramouli, whom I recommend to anyone's attention; the info and links are at the site of mr. Ludwig Pesch, which is devoted to Carnatic music, is very informative and also runs an e-learning course.
http://home.planet.nl/~pesch082/htmlpag/E/people08_SC.html
That being said, I fully endorse Surbahars' remarks.
musicslug

Reply with quote  #13 
lots of good information so far. I would add:

there are lots of really crappy rudra veenas out there - buying one for cheap will almost certainly get you something that, at minimum, needs tons of work, or, more likely, will never be any good. be very careful!

short of going to India and going through the whole routine of trying to get a quality instrument, you pretty much will have to shell out serious money to get something worth even learning on. this new interest of yours is potentially a very expensive one...

Bahauddin Dagar believes that good quality veenas for a good price are now being produced - in Varanasi I believe - but that still doesn't make it easy to get your hands on one!

assuming you do find yourself a good one, finding a teacher isn't simple either. you should probably try to listen to as much Dagarbani stuff (Z.M. and Bahauddin Dagar) as well as the Asad Ali Khan recordings and see if you have a strong preference for one or the other style. not only are they played completely differently, there are physical differences between the two styles of veenas.

if you want to learn the Dagarbani style, there is a teacher in Seattle who can teach you via video. it's not perfect, but it might work for you. I think he's great, but I'm biased because he's my teacher! good luck!
ali123

Reply with quote  #14 
nice post*-------------*
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.