INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey all, 

I was in a guitar shop here in LA today, and I spotted an old Rikhi Ram Necklace sitar. 
It looked in pretty good shape. 
The neck was straight, and the toomba was intact. 
What would you pay for one these days. 
I didn't ask what they wanted, but I keep thinking about it.
Could be a cool thing to have. 

RR Necklace - 1.jpg

sason

Reply with quote  #2 
I have one like this. It has very sweet sound, surely better than any new Rikhi Ram. I have another great Rikhi Ram Sitar from the early 90s. But it cannot compete with this necklace one.
About the price, I don't know. But if I could get to that shop, I would buy it without hesitation and not just because it is a cool thing to have.       
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
Looks nice. I had one like that but it is was even older and without the necklace. Think it was end 50's or something. Beware that those old RR's don't have the same meend range as later sitars because of the narrower neck. Maybe 4 notes or 4,5 note meend range max. That's why I sold mine. They also have very thin frets. Although on this one they look thicker.
katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
I have one of these that's in good condition.  It has the limited range of meend that Barend describes.  These sitars have very little mass and do not have much sustain as a result.  They sound like sitars from the pre-amplification era, although this one could have been made as late as the early 1970s or perhaps even later.  I'd say that a reasonable full retail on it would be about $1,250.  Beautiful instrument.
JRJ

Reply with quote  #5 
The music store will probably be very accepting of an offer around $300. In all probability
they don't know what they have and would be glad to pass it on for that price. That could be your starting bid going up to around $1000. Judging from the angle of the sympathetic
bridge and the miss aligned fret plus the extracted tuning pin I think this sitar is way, way
out of tune and you could say you want to take it home as a "project".

These are great sitars though. I think they are intended to be set up VK. I am pretty sure Tony Karasek has one, maybe he will chime in.

Hey, if you get a good price for it, pick up the Jazzmaster as well;-).

*j*
.~
jRj
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #6 
I called the store and they would sell it for $500. 
I think I will pass it along to my teacher for a student who needs a good sitar. 
This would be a great first sitar, compared to a lot of available cheaper sitars. 
It is in very good shape for its age.

Already talked to Tony K about it. 
He gave thumbs up to the price etc. 
We shall see what happens. 
JRJ

Reply with quote  #7 
Good job;-).
*j*
.~
jRj
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.