INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
katyrow

Reply with quote  #1 
Thoughts on this sitar? Curious, because the decoration isn't similar to what I'm used to seeing on RR sitars. Also, if the seller uses this board, I'm curious how it was acquired. Link pasted below. Thx.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rikhi-Ram-Sitar-/221570293588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33969e5f54
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
The "Gold Medalist" badge puts this sitar in the early - mid 1970's. That's a plus. Didn't think Rikhi Ram was making the two tone ebony bridges back then but can't say for sure. The holes drilled in the tabli were probably drilled by the user as seen on many Hiren Roy sitars- very doubtful Ajay or Sanjay did it at the time of creation. Overall this looks like a good instrument, assuming the neck is straight. The frets could possibly have been retied at some point as I don't recall that color thread being used then. Condition looks excellent.

Reply with quote  #3 
I had a very similar sitar with the Gold Medalist Badge and 2-tone bridge, my teacher got it for me in the mid 80s, it was stolen 3 years ago
This one is in much nicer condition than mine was after years of use (abuse) :roll:
katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for responding to my post. Thoughts on a fair price for it? I know it's hard to say without playing it, but I wouldn't be able to do that given its location.
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
Not sure about the value of these RR sitars. It's worth whatever you get from it. I think the ebay price is much too high. Sold my RR sitar 5 years ago for 800 or 900 euros. It was a similar fully decorated KP sitar with the normal name tag. Think it was from the 80's or something. The price range should be somewhere between 1000-1200$ if you ask me.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.