INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Malik

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi folks,

Just curious to see how many vitat (sarangi, dilruba, esraj, etc.) brothers and sisters we have in the States. Was thinking if the number was large enough, it might be nice to organize a meet-up in the future. If not, it still will be good for posterity.

If you play a bowed classical instrument and live in the US, please feel free to shoot a line about what you play and where you're located. (and maybe a little about your style)

I'll start:

Malik (everyone calls me "Bunty)
I play the sarangi - currently aiming for classical, though it will take some time
Also am a dholi and tabla player, and produce house and dub music.

Looking forward to hearing from some folks!
David Berner

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for the opportunity, Malik.

I try to play sarangi, i live near Los Angeles. Currently taking lessons, learning sarangi technique and raags. Heavily inspired by Ustad Sultan Khan.
Malik

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey David,

Been meaning to contact you- the few videos of yours that I've seen on youtube are really good. You have a real knack/talent for the sarangi and a very nice touch. How are the lessons going? Where did you acquire your sarangi?

For me, Sultan Khan Sahab was responsible for my first experience of the instrument, so it's his sound that is most memorable and familiar to me.

I was in LA for a wedding last week and had my sarangi with me. Shame I didn't post this earlier- we could've met!!

All the best,

Malik
David Berner

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Malik, you're too kind! I aquired that particular sarengi from a small music store in Artesia CA called Ziba Music (sadly they've since closed down). I will pm you more information about my lessons ... thanks for asking.
Best regards,
Dave
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #5 
Malik,

Im a beginner sarangi enthusiast. Im located in the San Fran Area. Like you im a tabla player (20 years) and a dholak player (just for Punjabi Folk). I recently started playing sarangi and am probably no where near the level of you and dave.

Dave,
You already know me...

Reply with quote  #6 
I play sarangi and Sarode - Live near Washington DC, in Gaithersburg, MD.

Also checkout Guru Angad Institute of Sikh Studies on the web - Based in the Metro DC area - Its the largest institute teaching Sarangi, Dilruba, Taus, Sarinda, Rabab - facility is located near the Dulles Airport in Sterling, VA.
keithbeber

Reply with quote  #7 
Hello everyone,
I play Dilruba here in Detroit, Michigan. Im a student of Ustad Shahid Parvez Kahn. I started studying this beautiful instrument with a lot of frustration as I could not find anyone that played it or let alone even heard of it. I went to London to study with Raj Academy for a couple of weeks, and did a month long tour with them in India the following year. Shortly after returning to Michigan, I was fortunate enough to begin studying under Ustadji. I recently began studying Tabla under Subhajyoti Guha. I also am a drummer and percussionist (Afro Cuban/World). Keith
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.