INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
SSRC

Reply with quote  #1 
I am going to buy a used Sitar RKS #1 this weekend which was sold from AACM and apparently its in good condition and its about half the listed price at AACM. I read a lot of posts that said RKS Sitars aren't good so how about the RKS #1 from AACM which is the top of the line RKS sold by them? My intention is to learn it for a while until I get a hang of Hindustani and get a Mohan Veena from Rikhi Ram when I visit India.
Thanks for your responses.
SS.
Bruce

Reply with quote  #2 
I wouldn't say Radha Krishna sitars are bad at all. I can think of quite of few local students who have gotten lots of good mileage out of their RKS sitars. Check to see if the pegs work and the neck is straight. If it was sold by AACM then it was set up, jawaried, etc. At half the retail, that's a steal.
vevek

Reply with quote  #3 
A well made RKS is a nice instrument, especially if, as pointed out in the previous post, it was prepared by AACM. I have sitars by Rikhi Ram, Hemen, Hiren Roy and Naskar but I still enjoy playing the RKS. you can listen to it at

to get an idea...
cheers
V
SSRC

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the responses, Bruce & Vevek. Thanks Vevek for posting a link to your video. Its really very good.

SS.
anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #5 
Ahh the famous Ravi-Ji/Yehudhi Menhuhin Collaboration based or Raga Piloo. Love that piece. Well played. As for the Sitar ~ if its AACM its a Steal at half price. That said I guarantee that if you get a Hiren Roy #3 (or whatever there "student" or least expensive model is) from AACM (or anyone you trust ~ AACM rocks, still playing mine from there ~ http://www.anandvyas.org for Sound ~ 10 years later ~ Bruce-ji, he probably won't remember, is the person i spoke to on the phone and I received it in Athens Georgia) I called him AFTER playing it and said I did not like the sound. He suggested to KEEP PLAYING it because they are heavy sitars and need a breaking in and that is how they sound new. Boy was he right ~ just listen to the same sitar now ~ my Guru-Ji even says it is one special sitar. I have bought about 12 sitars since ~ still playing my Hiren Roy from AACM on stage or at practice.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.