INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All!!

I've been learning to play tabla since last two and a half years. And i am much curious about how different players do their riyaz. I am concerned with the timing, different exercises and all. How do you riyaz on tabla?? please share with me in here. I heard one should not repeat same exercises for many days but need to alter the kaidas and other exercises each day. Also i heard like: 'ek sadhey toh sab sadhey" (if u practice one well you'll do well in all) and etc. What do you have to say about these?
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
hi arhatontabla

I don't think there is a certain formula for riyaz -

I myself try my best to practice everything I have learnt - everyday if possible - at least play the whole kaida and variations and tihai once - as the body of my learning increased it became hard to practicie it all - so I pick and choose and mix up my practice. I try practice the hard stuff that I am not so good as much as I can.

Then there are certain elements/exercises which also demand attention and practice -
I try doing exercises incorporating the following key bols:
- Dha tirkittaka tirkit
- Dhir Dhir
- Gege tete

And most of all - try have fun with it all !

"ek sadhey toh sab sadhey" <-- yes I agree - if you can play one kaida that incorporates for example "dha tirkit tak tirkit" and you have mastered it - then when you come across different kaidas that have this element - you can pick it up much easier !!!

I am no expert - but I am realising timing and counting is essential - particular in more advanced stages of playing - i.e. to come up with improvisations on the fly you need to have EXCELLLENT timing and counting skills.
Quote:
"I heard one should not repeat same exercises for many days but need to alter the kaidas and other exercises each day"
I don't know about this one - it depends what you are practicing and what exercises you are doing. At the end of the day it does in fact come down to how much time and effort you put into practicing!!
Unfortunately - I don't think there is any substitute for TIME and EFFORT ! haha ! Good luck with it all !

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
PAZ

Reply with quote  #3 
arhatontabla

As a beginner my main focus for playing tabla was always to play Bhajans, but i recentlly discovered that learning classical indian music first will allow you too play what ever i want in tabla later. e.g would be i use to play alot of bhajan thekas and hardlly ever practiced any teen taal. Now my focus has shiffted to playing teen taal atleast everyday. And i noticed that my bhajan thekas are getting better and better. I seem to be able to prgress faster and further by structuring my Riyaz to teen taal.

I also noticed that playing teen taal seems to be making me a more complete tabla player, my understanding of this Divine art is also increassing.

I also belive that in the begining stages of tabla learning 1-4 years a formal daily training regine is very important. it helps to set the hand and increasses mucel memory. A great deal of this is probly upto the indiviguals metal capacity along with there phisical and time limitation.

One last thing i have never formally learnt any tabla form any masters i really don't know how to measure my progress i think this is very important cath the mistakes early and they might not become Bad Habbits.

OK one final thing before the begining of every session and the end I pay my Tabla their respects by doing Pranama joining of hands and bowing of head.

I have no formal training so i take whatever i can get and i listen to my tablas and let them teach me.

Paz
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "arhatontabla"
Hi All!!

I've been learning to play tabla since last two and a half years. And i am much curious about how different players do their riyaz. I am concerned with the timing, different exercises and all. How do you riyaz on tabla?? please share with me in here. I heard one should not repeat same exercises for many days but need to alter the kaidas and other exercises each day. Also i heard like: 'ek sadhey toh sab sadhey" (if u practice one well you'll do well in all) and etc. What do you have to say about these?
You might be interested in this discussion thread from a few months back:

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10954&p=66080&hilit=practice+regimen#p66109

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Hi All!!

This topic might also be of some interest to you in regards to something called "mixed" or "varied" practice (with regards to anything, not just tabla):

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10681&p=64749&hilit=varied+practice#p64749

and a few more details and discussion in the sitar forum might be of interest:

And in the sitar forum:

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10237&p=65555&hilit=varied+practice#p65555

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "PAZ"
OK one final thing before the begining of every session and the end I pay my Tabla their respects by doing Pranama joining of hands and bowing of head.

I have no formal training so i take whatever i can get and i listen to my tablas and let them teach me.

Paz
Yes - that was the first thing my guru told me - if you respect the tabla - it wil respect you back!

God bless !

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Hi All!!

The following idea might be of interest to you:
Quote:
Dan Coyle: It flows from the scientific finding that when you operate from the edge of your ability, on the very uncomfortable razor edge of your ability your learning goes up and it doesn't go up just a little it increases quite a lot. There's a great term that gets used in this context, it's called learning velocity, we normally don't think of earning having a velocity but a lot of the science shows that it does. The rate at which you can learn increases greatly when you operate in what scientists call the sweet spot on the edge of your ability. And that means reaching for a specific target, for a certain type of motion, or a certain chord on a musical instrument, whatever task you're trying to do, reaching, failing and reaching again.
the rest of this fascinating article is here:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/practice-makes-perfect/3611212#transcript

This was also discussed a bit on this forum a few months ago:

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10953&p=66098&hilit=learning+velocity#p66079

Pascal

arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #8 
I would like to thank all of you for sharing the things you know. Thanks Tablabeatz, PAZ and pbercker. I read all your posts and i feel i am getting something. Thanks for the link as well. Reading that made me more confident in my own riyaz schedule which i recently switched to a varied one mixing kaidas and others up from earlier dull and intensely focused one. Lets see what good would this new practice regime leads my table playing : ).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.