INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all tablabhais

I would like know how long it takes to be able to play basic rhythms like kerwa, dadra and teental fluently enough to able accompany. What i am really asking here is for forum members' personal experiences in this regard, that is how long did it take you or how long is it taking you to get the fundamentals of technique down pact where now you are able to play in competent accompaniment and can tackle some tougher composition type stuff, and how much riyaaz have you put in.

Ill tell you my situation. I have been taking formal lessons since about August. Unfortunately my riyaaz has not been as regular and intensive as it should be, i can play a couple of variations of dadra and teental ok, struggling with kerwa though. Im also practising a couple of qaedas and a basic rela.

If you like you can tell me where you are at in your developement and how long has it taken you and how did you get there.

Reply with quote  #2 
Jaanbhai,
I don't know why but I had the impression you had been learning tabla for quite a bit longer than you stated. No matter, I've been learning for several years and I'm still not completely comfortable accompanying everyone or anyone. There a a lot of contingencies regarding your question; if you can play basic theka with some rythmic consistency you should be able to manage fine and it will still be fun. If the soloist demands more then you may be in trouble or similiarly if the soloist has no rythmic consistency then you're both in trouble. So, the level of competentcy matters a lot when pairing a soloist and accompanist.
More often, and ideally, they can help each other achieve greater confidence to try more complex passages.
Bottom line, the best way to learn is to jump in and do it - you can't really learn anything worthwhile about accompaniment until you do. Make mistakes, which you will often but learn from your mistakes and try again. No matter how accomplished you are as a soloist, as an accompanist you are in another world alltogether. Yes, practice and a wide repertoire help, but your ability to think and listen at the same time will take you even further. For that you can only learn hands on with someone else at the controls - it's a different kind of riyaz but more intense.
My advice...don't worry about your level of fluency or development till after you've tried it - at which point you'll be hooked and it won't matter. (everybody fakes it to some degree anyway :wink:)
Good luck and tell us how it goes.
BTW - this might help:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~apa/accomp.html

A.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.