INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #16 
Got to agree - this post needs - needs - to be back on the 'sitar' forum. Neck flex is an inherent trait by design. A single beam of wood carved out to around 1/4" with an even thinner top plate holding back around twenty strings is going to flex even in a static position. This condition is even factored into the eventual height of the bridges and fret curvature, at least on the good ones. Yanking the Ma string for a high hearted meend is going to add to the neck tension and it will obviously be heard on any open strings that are vibrating at the moment, wether plucked or singing in sympathy. I've heard the excuse that this is part of the nature and beauty of the music. I've also heard the excuse that this is how sitars have been built for the last seven generations and this is how they are all 'supposed' to be built. Oh, yeah! I've also had it thrown to me that I shouldn't "mess with the classics" and since I've not had sufficient training in the art of building flex neck sitars, I wouldn't be able to make anything that would solve this issue. "Hang loose, blood! JAFO gonno set it straight"! Even RS had this condition on his stable of Nodu sitars. If your baby dips around a quarter tone, I guess you'll have to live with it. Anything more than that and I'd start shopping. Cheers!!!

Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks for the tip about tuning.
I had in fact been not using my low pa string so I loosened it a bit before hooking it down. Now i've tried returning it to it's original pitch and it has in fact made a difference. The bending is now at a manageable level.
Thanks a lot!
sitarmaster

Reply with quote  #18 
If you find the perfect sitar, tell me. Please.

Yes I found perfect sitars in this order. Listen to them:

1. Ustad Vilayat Khan
2. Ustad Shaid Pervez
3. Pandit Nikhil Banerjee

If you don't find perfection in them go play or eat Baklava!!
sitarfish

Reply with quote  #19 
I take it back. My sitar is still losing a good quarter tone, perhaps more on my meands. Oh well, I guess I have to get used to it. Ironically, trying to minimise my sa drone presence while playing may actually be improving my playing a bit!
sitarmaster

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarfish"
I take it back. My sitar is still losing a good quarter tone, perhaps more on my meands. Oh well, I guess I have to get used to it........
I told you, you got a lemon!.... Well just joking.

I propose that in future the design of sitars should include a solid square brass rod or suitable light alloy rod running the entire length of the main dandi, including under the tabli to the kunti (string hooks) so as to prevent any kind of bending. The brass rod integrated under the wood will look very beautiful, may add some extra weight but will provide tremendous strength to prevent bending during meends. But doesn't meend mean "bending"...............?

And please moderators put this back in the Sitar threads.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #21 
Why don't we just add that lever that allows the whole bridge to drop/raise like on a guitar?!?!?

We can create a whole new range of Raga Music with it. 8)

NOTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Nick
mysteryofmusic

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Nagawoman"
I have an older Sitar from RR/Delhi that was rather rusty and rotten when I bought it secondhand -
tuned to C or lower it would bend horribly, but with thicker strings and at C sharp it works okay (ex:
#GU5U2spHI_4).
Sitarfish, you should check and experimnet with tuning and string thickness before throwing away the poor instrument.
Isn't putting thicker strings and tuning higher adding more tension and, thus, bending more the dandi?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #23 
To any SANE sitarist, YES!!!!!

Nick
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #24 
Neat to see this topic revived. Gotta blow off a fanfare here. That 3" neck joint is just NOT going to hold the instrument together. Various builders have set a little two screw tab on the back of the neck at the gulu joint to try and keep the original position intact during meend. Also to consider, that joint is hand fit with chisels and wedges. That alone creates a weak joint. The general accepted design element of having a raised tabli lifts the string racks which adds just that little bit more bow string tension making an impossible situation even worse. The clear evidence is having the taraf strings hugging the underside of the frets. Basic structural changes to the instruments design have to take place in India> Sitarists are making ever more demands of their instruments. I'm doing my bit here with jointless sitars. I'm three for three on this point with three more in the works. Press on ! ! !

Reply with quote  #25 
I can tell you that the peacock sitar I recently bought from Tony doesn't lose pitch at all when I meend, not even by a cent. The neck is incredibly solid.
Sitarismylife

Reply with quote  #26 
My sitar, (although it's cheap and picked up from the shops in Lal Bazar, Kolkata), doesn't go off-tune at all. I have observed that the ard patri moves a bit to avoid the tension on the neck. Is this horrible or good?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.