INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
frido_marc

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I need help.

I found a very nice old Rikhi Ram Sitar on ebay in germany (key word: Rikhi Ram Sitar).

(https://www.ebay.de/itm/Sitar-original-Rikhi-Ram-Raritat/192572077490?hash=item2cd630b5b2:g:fFAAAOSwFFZbJ4Ri)

Can someone tell me something about this instrument? Is a purchase useful?

Can the instrument be bought unseen and unplayed or is it too risky?

Many Thanks

Mark
desh

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

I'm not an expert in vintage sitars - maybe Tony K or Lars will provide some insight -  but to me it looks like a very nice sitar. I have one from the same era and the build quality is excellent. 

If you can confirm from the owner that the neck is straight it should be a fine instrument. 
If the final bid price combined with shipping to your location is acceptable to your budget, it could be a good buy. 

You may also want to confirm that the seller knows how to pack the instrument properly for shipping. Most people who don't sell sitars or aren't experienced in shipping fragile items won't know how to properly pack and ship a sitar. I've had 2 sitars shipped to me damaged in the past. 

Best of luck.

Desh
frido_marc

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Desh,

thank you for your answer and the important hints.

I looked at the sitar and it actually makes a good impression. Body and neck are very good. And she certainly has a very nice sound. But I am not a professional player .........

I think that I will buy the sitar depending on the price development. I am just not sure which purchase price I would like to raise the maximum. I will see.

Best regards

Mark

karlhugo

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi,

a very nice and rare Rikhi Ram sitar.

The badge is one of three variants of the gold letter / white back ground type which dates it to pre 1971. Major upgrade there as the string loops under tension on the horn tail piece would slice off the tabs they were connected to.

Really nice. 

Jeff
frido_marc

Reply with quote  #5 
 Hi Jeff,
is the sitar in your opinion a buy recommendation ?

Best regards

Mark
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
Any of these in original condition from the shop from that era I've had to restore have needed complete fitting to work right. The structures though have all been very nice so worth doing. It looks like someone has already done the work possibly. I would say it's worth it if it doesn't go too high. The peg you can replace, I have them available also.

Lars

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.