INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Tucker Fleming

Reply with quote  #1 
I saw an interesting Sitar for sale locally recently.  It had the looks of an old Rikhi Ram gayaki but it was fairly obvious that it was not a genuine RR.  But the price of $200 made it almost compelling to actually go see it.  The pics aren't great, but tell me what you think of this please.  Any idea how old it might be?  Note the top of the Sitar has a very slight contour-ish design that I've never seen...and the weird flat large tuning pegs.  And the necklace design on the back...😉    Sitar or...Shitar?

Gayaki 1.jpg 
Gayaki 2.jpg

Gayaki 3.jpg

katyrow

Reply with quote  #2 
Very similar to these.  The one on the left is a Mohan Singh.  The one on the right is likely generic.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_3054.jpg (129.54 KB, 5 views)

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
If it's older might be just fine with some good fitting done. I've had a number of the branded ones through here and fitting back then was never good at all but the structures were good. They never made instruments but sub-contracted them so could just be the people that made them sold them as well or a competitor body maker, knock off, etc. Any number of possibilities. Sometimes there is a hole under the main bridge and you can measure the thickness of the wood which should give you a clue whether it's worth putting any effort into.

Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the info guys.  I went and bought it, brought it home and fixed it up.  It's an older one, cheap but solid built, pegs are good, frets are amazingly good, no pitting at all.  With some jawari it'll be a great student sitar.

Tucker
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.