INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey,

I finally restored the old Naskar sitar I found.
Here are a few pics I shot today right after stringing it up for the first time. Ill try to take better pictures later.
It is really hard to get shots that show the beauty of the wood and carving.
http://gallery.mac.com/carletonroyds#100104

Here are the Pre-restoration pics.
These were taken the day I bought it. I had not even dusted it off.
It spend the last twenty years or so on the shelf of an antiques store in Boston.
http://gallery.mac.com/carletonroyds#100008

After cleaning it up I realized that it had hardly ever been played.
The Mizrab Guard is completely untouched. No Thonks ever done on it.
I cleaned off the sitar head to toe and I shined the tabli up with a very light Carnauba wax.
Now all I need to do is retie some of the frets, and have the jawari done.

The sound is very loud and the sustain in insane, but it has no Jawari so the sound is very very flat.
I am not sure if it ever had a Jawari carved into it.
I mean it has NO jawari. It is basically completely flat, and smooth as ivory.
There is not a single chisel mark or scrape.

It has the largest toomba ever. It is so big that it does not fit the largest fiberglass case from AACM store.
The lid of the case cannot close as the toomba is too deep.
It wont even fit in one of those massive cheaper wooden cases. (You know the kind of case that every sitar on ebay is sold in, but the biggest one)
Not sure how I am ever going to take it anywhere unless I get a case specially made.
I guess I could get an Anvil Case made for it.
Anyway, there it is.

I think it is a very very beautiful sitar.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
OOOOHHHHHHH

Gimme GiMMEEE

GIMMEEEEEEEEEEE

[size=150]NOW!!!!![/size]

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Actually, after seeing the 'pre' pics, unless a sitar is damaged, an old look can be great!!! 8)

Nick
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #4 
Yeah, the pre-restoration pics are misleading.
They were taken by a friend who is a Professional Photographer.
He is so good he could make a pile of trash appealing.
I love those "Pre" pics but in real life it did not look so hot before the cleanup.
If it had actually looked like the before pictures I would have left it alone, but it really needed a clean and polish. In real life it looked tired and dusty.

The tabli in the Pre-restoration pics looks great, the finish looks antique, but if you saw the thing in your hands you would realize that that neat smokey finish was actually a thick layer of dust and grime.

Also I took the new pics in a hurry without good light.
I will take some more shots later in better light.

Anyway, I agree with the statement, but in this case the reality is that it looks 1000% better today than it did when I got it.

Just for interests sake, Tony Karasek has the exact same model on his museum pages. Id be interested in his expert critique of mine. Tony?
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.CFM?ID=IMG0085
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #5 
Oh yeah, Trippy you will love this.
I BOUGHT IT FOR $300 !!!!!
It pays to keep your eyes open in Antique stores and other sellers of interesting junk. They are just the kind of stores that might have an old master piece sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
I am so happy I bought this one. It is a Jem.

I cant wait to get the Jawari done.
It is going to rip your face off when it is all jawari-ed up.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Ok! in my "expert" :wink: opinion - " Nummy! Nummy! Nummy!"

No question, you got yourself a 5 star winner! Original finish and all. Excellent score! Now hang onto it ! Play it to pieces! Call it George!

How bout that extra deep and clear carving ? ! ? No mistake - this is true 'vintage' quality. Let the pics rant for me ! TNX for sharing this bit of lovely!

Reply with quote  #7 
- WOW!!!!!!

AAHHHHHH CARLETON What a stunner - What a find. Isn't Karma a wonderful thing ol' friend. A blessing like this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Rock on dude - enjoy your beauty.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #8 
That certainly is a beauty. That carving is so sharp. I love the monochrome penwork with the dark trail running through it. And check out the heads of the "spiral" pegs. Deeply cut. It really has a presence and it all comes together.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #9 
Yup I love the pegs on this one.
You can see the pegs better in the Pre-Restoration pics.
Unfortunately some of the little bone tips are gone.
Two big pegs and a few of the Taraf pegs are missing the bone tip. I guess I will have to get someone to recreate those for me.
It cant be that hard, they are just little bone bits.
I LOVE the pen work. I cant get enough of it. The monotone look is my favourite.
It is a very very very traditional classic model.
I cant stop looking at it when I get home.
povster

Reply with quote  #10 
I cant stop looking at it when I get home.

I know the feeling. Some instruments just have such a presence. That Naskar has it in full. They kind of sit there and just exude, so to speak. And you stare at it and wonder and stare at it in wonder.

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #11 
Send me a nice macro close up of those peg tips with measurements or better yet, if you can stand it, send me a peg and I can do the necessary stuff. I've got deer horn or bone with which I can fabricate replacements. They are hand filed from a 3" long stick of horn then cut off when all is looking good. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #12 
Cool Tony, Thanks. You da man.
It is funny but your museum page with the similar Naskar sitar is the reason I bought this one. I saw mine for sale and the only other Naskar sitar I could find on the net was the one on your site. Your glowing praise of the one on your site made me comfortable to buy mine.
I am soooooooo glad I did.

Most people have never heard the name "Naskar", but if you ever find one out there in the world buy it as fast as you can. You would not believe how well made this one is. The craftsmanship is insane. All you have to do is look really close at the tabli carving to know that these guys were as good as any maker out there.

It is funny but I think the universe heard me wishing to find a sitar like that Nodu Mallick sitar from Tony's site that we were all drooling over a few weeks ago, and the universe decided to throw me a bone and let me find this incredible sitar. It aint a Nodu Mallick but it is as close as I will probably ever get to one. I am happy that the universe felt me worthy of such a score.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #13 
$300

As we say here in the UK

YOU JAMMY GET!!!!!!!

Fantastic & WELL DONE again!!!!!

I'll be seeing what I can track down when I'm in Varanasi & Kolkatta this next trip in Jan.

Nick
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #14 
Here are a couple of pictures of the sitar sent to me by the seller before I bought it..
They show the original state of the sitar before restoration better than the other Pre-Restoration pics liked to earlier.
http://gallery.mac.com/carletonroyds#100112

You can see it was in a sorry state desperately needing a good clean and polish.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.