INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
producito

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #2 
You don't need to worry, this isn't necessary.
I've had my Hiren Roy tuned to D since 1993, and it's perfectly happy there.

Sitars don't like rest - they like to be played
Where did you read that you need to do this?
Kirya

Reply with quote  #3 
Ravi Shankar used to suggest doing this -- I think it is even stated in his book My Music. My Life
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kirya"
Ravi Shankar used to suggest doing this -- I think it is even stated in his book My Music. My Life
Yup, on page 100:

"As with any finely made stringed instrument, it is a good idea periodically to relax the tension on the strings. Every six weeks or so loosen the strings, but do not let them go completely slack, and leave them that way overnight. Some tension must be kept on the strings or the bridges may move, which would alter the sound of the sitar."

David
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #5 
I'll admit to not doing this. I guess I'm not sure what the benefit is, exactly. Ie., what improvement (sound, tuning stability, etc) you gain or what risk you avoid (structural weakening, etc). Although I probably ought to dedicate at least a few hours to this while changing all the strings...it's been a while since I've changed the strings on my main instrument...
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #6 
Interesting question.
Here are some insights.

From a Guitar forum... A response.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-505667.html
The string pressure caused the neck to bend forward and the truss rod causes it to bend backward. If you take a way the string pressure then the neck warps backward. If you take away the truss rod and the string pressure then it shouldn't want to wart either direction, however changes in them and humidity still cause the wood to expand and contract wich will result in twisting. The constant, even, pressure pushing the neck forward and backward help keep the neck from twisting. So... If it's in an enviromentaly controlled room then take the strings off and loosen the truss rod and it will be fine. If it's not environmentally controlled then do what Kid thorazine said and detune about a step, but it's important that you actually tune the guitar half step too low, and not just loosen strings. The reason you would want to loosen the strings a little bit isn't to take the tension off the neck, it's to take it off the body. Acoustic guitar body do deform from the string tension and the only way to fix it is a neck reset. This isn't a problem with electric guitars and that is why electric guitar people will tell you to leave it strung up as normal.

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?6255-Loosen-strings-when-storing-guitars-or-not... A response.

Forgive me, I'm not a luthier.
So, I'll just try this from a logical/physics angle. The truss rod and the strings are in balance to keep the neck in a certain position for any given (stable) setup, yes?
It seems to me that changing string tension (loosening OR tightening) would alter that fine balance and invite neck movement.
Me thinks this might be why PRS guitars are shipped TUNED instead of slack-stringed...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and
http://www.allthingsstrings.com/layout/set/print/Instruments/CARE-MAINTENANCE/Ask-the-Expert-How-Should-I-Properly-Store-a-violin-for-an-Extended-Period
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my personal opinion I would say it may be good to detune a little once a while.
Applying this theory to other instruments with many strings like santoor, harp, could yield some more answers
producito

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks all
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #8 
Could any luthier's out there comment on this?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.