INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #1 
After a lot of trial and error (mostly error) I've managed to get a jawari sound that I'm pretty happy with (fairly open). But what I've noticed is that by shifting the bridge forward slightly (towards the frets) I can get a sound that is better to my ears. The chicaris in particular sound more zingy. The problem of course is that moving the bridge position forces you to move the frets to keep the intonation ok. And because of the obstacles of chicari posts and taraf pegs there's not much room for movement.

Now what I can't get my head round is how the placement of the bridge affects the relative positions of the strings to the bridge surface. Does it lift them away or bring them closer? If I could understand that perhaps I could make some slight changes to the jawari that would have the same effect as moving the bridge forward? I'm only talking about millimetres of bridge movement here, but tiny fractions seem to make big differences. Can anybody shed any light on this?
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Chris.
Are you close to Birmingham UK. I could get U in touch with someone to help you out. There's young man in Leicester name is Kaviraj Singh son of Ustad Dharambir Ji. He really knows his stuff regarding jawari work.

Sounds like u just need to keep the bridge in its orignal place and probably needs tilting a faction of a millimetre forward to open up the the space were the string leaves the jawari towards the frets. See if u can reposition it in actual position and stick a bit of paper at the back of the feet to slightly tilt it.

I'm guessing because of the curvature of the tabli it allowing for it to open up as u move it forward. Because of that it's slipping as the shape under the feet isn't suitable for its new position.

Plz before u make any jawari alteration get some information from somebody who knows. Mine is just a suggestion.
hussain2th@gmail.com Anytime will be happy to help if I can.
trippymonkey

Reply with quote  #3 
He's actually nearer to me if he's in York !!
I live in Nelson near Burnley & Birmingham is WAYYYY below ME never mind him !!

Jus' sayin' an all
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisnovice"
After a lot of trial and error (mostly error) I've managed to get a jawari sound that I'm pretty happy with (fairly open). But what I've noticed is that by shifting the bridge forward slightly (towards the frets) I can get a sound that is better to my ears. The chicaris in particular sound more zingy. The problem of course is that moving the bridge position forces you to move the frets to keep the intonation ok. And because of the obstacles of chicari posts and taraf pegs there's not much room for movement.

Now what I can't get my head round is how the placement of the bridge affects the relative positions of the strings to the bridge surface. Does it lift them away or bring them closer? If I could understand that perhaps I could make some slight changes to the jawari that would have the same effect as moving the bridge forward? I'm only talking about millimetres of bridge movement here, but tiny fractions seem to make big differences. Can anybody shed any light on this?
To answer your question, it's yes. All of the above. The tabli has curves in it that will affect the angle of the bridge/jawari as you move it. So you'll notice differences in tone as you do so. If I'm setting one up I get the position and intonation correct with a rough jawari and then do the final. If you have a template made instrument then you'll have to factor in all the various things such as chikari post placements and pegs, etc.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
as a related question: how do you determine the position of the bridge on a new sitar? what are the steps to make?
trippymonkey

Reply with quote  #6 
B
It might well involve a lengthy process of fret moving AND bridge moving together ?!?!!??
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi
I think Barend bhai means on a new sitar. As the first string goes on and fret work begins. Position of bridge and calculations if I'm correct in understanding. Apologies in advance if wrong.
barend

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes I meant how do you determine bridge position exactly for optimum intonation and playability?
When you have a sitar without a bridge and you want to install a new bridge.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #9 
I would think one of the important considerations would be if the sympathetic pegs are already drilled. What I might do is first center the frets in their "optimal" position as regards the sympathetic pegs. And then string up your sa string, and play around with the bridge location til you've got it in tune up the neck (ie intonation / string length). Then at that point is when you would concern yourself more about jawari, bridge height. But speaking as a novice...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.