INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

some of my taraf eyelets have got a bit cracked and old so I assume they are making my symps less zingy than they should be. I've just bought a new set and I've read up on all the previous posts with tips on how to go about changing them. Some very useful stuff from Tony K I might add.

My worry is that the new ones are quite a bit larger than the old ones. So I'm thinking if I replace one I should replace them all. Now, if I make the holes larger to accommodate the new ones I know there's no going back. Which scares me somewhat. I suppose my question is how proud they need to be from the wood. Some of my taraf strings actually pass over part of the next string's eyelet, so they could easily snag if they are sitting up too high. Also the strings are pretty close together and again I could run the risk of one string catching against the next string's eyelet. Because they are bigger they will be wider when they're in place.

So should I set them fairly deep into the wood, making sure there's just enough clearance for the strings to ring true? Or would it be the case that if they are all set a bit higher than they are at the moment the height difference will cancel out any potential snagging?

Aw, I think I just need some reassurance. Should I just go for it and tackle any new problems if they arise?

Chris.
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisnovice"
Hi,

Aw, I think I just need some reassurance. Should I just go for it and tackle any new problems if they arise?

Chris.
Most interesting question, Chris. I would wait for the cavalry to arrive before going ahead, just in case something unanticipated develops.

Also, how is the taraf bridge position? Can it be shifted to one side more to help the strings clear at least the high points of the grommets?

chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisnovice"
Also, how is the taraf bridge position? Can it be shifted to one side more to help the strings clear at least the high points of the grommets?
I've never felt there was much leeway for moving the taraf bridge position - the tension always seems to centre it with the line of the strings, sort of path of least resistance. That's what seems to happen on mine anyway.
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
Chris, do you have a picture of the size of the ones you're replacing? There are lots of different sizes, I may have them or Tony might as well. Save yourself some headaches anyway, usually if I replace one I'll file it to fit it's time consuming and I am very grateful that most of the new sitars have the different style ones.

Lars

Rain City Music

Reply with quote  #5 
A tapered reamer of suitable size would be ideal to get those holes larger. In India they use the tang of a file ( pointy squared bit that goes into the handle ). They jam it into the hole, give it a few good twists, shrug and smile with head tilted about 5 degrees. You can do this with reasonable effectiveness but you will need to follow up with an Xacto blade to clean the rim of each hole. Another trick to consider - since some of the strings will have a tendency to crash into the next eyelet up the line, you could file / grind down the side of the eyelet at an angle thus providing string clearance. Have the ground round side facing toward the centerline of the neck. Works quite well. Just be sure to leave enough meat on dem bones to allow the string to sit on the eyelet rim normally. Also, countersink each eyelet hole with a twist drill bit hand twiddled. The strings and the eyelets will love you for this ! ! ! Fun job ahead for you.

Reply with quote  #6 
Hope it shows ok on the picture, I've placed a new one next to the old. The old ones are about 4mm, the replacements are about 6mm. Doesn't sound much, but really they're half as big again.

As you say Lars, it would save a lot of headache if I could get smaller ones. Anybody got 4mm taraf mogere?
DSC00185.JPG 

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #7 
Got tons of them here. It would be best if you could send me an original. Each of these will be just a tad different diameter so some will fit in different holes better than others. PM me and we can talk details.

Cheers!

Tony K

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.