INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a sitar that has a slight warp on the main fretboard around R G M and this causes these notes to often sound flat. I have tried adjusting the fret positioning but it still remains.

The mandra and tar saptak are still true and in tune but it seems the middle keeps going out of tune. Always a little flat.

Is this something that  can be repaired?

On very close examination it appears that the top of the fretboard seems to be higher just in that mid region. 

How would one repair this?

Any suggestions would be welcome

Ingo

Reply with quote  #2 
Quite normal to see slightly bowed necks (no wonder because of long neck length under influence of string tension plus climate/air). This is adjusted by re-forming the fret curvature, so the string has the right plane on which to run.

But it sounds strange that your Sitar neck has an up-bow, not the more common down-bow in the middle. The cure would be to make the fret curves in the offending region flatter i.e. pray, then hammer em yourself, sometimes you don't even need to take the frets off for this.

But you write that notes "often" sound flat - does this mean that the neck not only has moved but is now unstable? If this and/or the neck bow is a big one, the repair is more involved - example: http://www.sitarfactory.be/repairs/neck-bend-repair/.

No judgement/responsibility for this without seeing/hearing your lute - as these are individuals with strange and special faults and ways of being:-).

Kirya

Reply with quote  #3 
The neck bow is visible as I can compare to two other sitars that are true pitchwise across the fretboard. I also thought it was very strange that mandra saptak was fine and tar saptak was fine but the middle kept sounding flat even after moving the frets around but flattening teh frets may be a solution as the neck straightening thing looks pretty daunting.

I imagine that would be costly to have done. Any idea how much? 

Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirya
The neck bow is visible as I can compare to two other sitars that are true pitchwise across the fretboard. I also thought it was very strange that mandra saptak was fine and tar saptak was fine but the middle kept sounding flat even after moving the frets around but flattening teh frets may be a solution as the neck straightening thing looks pretty daunting.

I imagine that would be costly to have done. Any idea how much? 

If it's a back bow then you split the neck and reshape the parts and put it together again. Hackleman is good at this sort of thing and is in your area sometimes might get with him on it. If it's a newer sitar then best to wait and see how bad it'll get first. It's not a common defect, I've only seen it a few times. If it's not too extreme you can adjust the frets and should correct your tuning issues if it's just a little flat. You can email me some pics and I'll take a look.....

Lars

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.