INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
el presidente

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everybody!

I was just wondering one thing:
I have several unused dayan pudis that I have mounted on tabla, and they were great in sound and appearance, but unfortunately had buzzing syahi. I have learnt hard way this is a common problem for us who re-head our tablas. So I'm asking you, do you know if the tablamakers are capable to remove the syahi and make a new one to the same pudi? Is it possible? Or worth it? If not, why?

Thank you for your input.
-M
Vivek

Reply with quote  #2 
The short answer is: It is possible.

The more detailed answer: It is technically possible to replace the shyahi on a dayan, but in many cases is not the best option. Generally, with the second shyahi, the the skin has already been stretched from use and the makers have far less control over the final product (in terms of both sound quality and durability.) Many tabla makers refuse to redo the shyahi on a dayan because they cannot guarantee the new one will last for a decent amount of time, and don't want to put the work into something that might break within a few months and leave the customer dissatisfied. Some makers I know will do shyahi replacements only for their own pudis, some will only do them for regular customers. Shyahi replacements on the bayan tend to work much better and are therefore much more common.

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
Hi everybody!

I was just wondering one thing:
I have several unused dayan pudis that I have mounted on tabla, and they were great in sound and appearance, but unfortunately had buzzing syahi. I have learnt hard way this is a common problem for us who re-head our tablas. So I'm asking you, do you know if the tablamakers are capable to remove the syahi and make a new one to the same pudi? Is it possible? Or worth it? If not, why?

Thank you for your input.
-M
Would you consider selling those unused pudis?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Vivek"
The short answer is: It is possible.

The more detailed answer: It is technically possible to replace the shyahi on a dayan, but in many cases is not the best option. Generally, with the second shyahi, the the skin has already been stretched from use and the makers have far less control over the final product (in terms of both sound quality and durability.) Many tabla makers refuse to redo the shyahi on a dayan because they cannot guarantee the new one will last for a decent amount of time, and don't want to put the work into something that might break within a few months and leave the customer dissatisfied. Some makers I know will do shyahi replacements only for their own pudis, some will only do them for regular customers. Shyahi replacements on the bayan tend to work much better and are therefore much more common.
Perfect Explanation !!!!
We do syahi replacement, but there are things that we need to consider.
1) How strong is the gajra, and how low it has come. Cannot do the syahi replacement if the gajra has lowered to much.
2) Prolonged use of the pudis make them oily. one cannot apply syahi to such skins.
3) No Syahi replacement for thin skins. They will burst off in most cases.
4) I remember redoing Syahi replacement for a bayan for the second time. Its simpler and if the bayan has little thicker skin, it is possible.
el presidente

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi!

I must add that these pudis are nearly new and unused. I have three or four of them. The syahis started to buzz almost right after re-heading. So very little oils or stretching on them.

Vivek: Thank you for clear answer! I knew I could allways count on this forum to get answers.

Pascal: Aahaa! I'm very curious to know what purpose you have for buzzing pudis?

Upendra: Also I allways can count on you! Ready to share some information regarding tabla making! Thank you.
So are you saying that if one would send the buzzing pudis to you, you could try to re-make the syahis? How much would you charge for this? You can also PM me.

Thanks!
-M
Greg

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
I'm very curious to know what purpose you have for buzzing pudis?
Me too.... :?

sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
Hi!

Upendra: Also I allways can count on you! Ready to share some information regarding tabla making! Thank you.
So are you saying that if one would send the buzzing pudis to you, you could try to re-make the syahis? How much would you charge for this? You can also PM me.

Thanks!
-M
Yes I can do the rework of syahi, just that you have to bring them personally, because if you send them from outside india by postal service or courier, the customs here will trouble me. They will hold the pudis, and ask for money. once you are in india, you can send it by normal postal service to my address anytime. And I can do the syahi work for 10$ per pudi, and shipping charges whatever it is.
Just make sure that the gajra is not too low. otherwise, by the time the syahi work is done, it will get even lower.
-U
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.