INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
yak.a.co

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings,
just a short question: does anyone have experience with red sandalwood jawaris as advertised here: http://www.sitarsencat.com/prod-sitar-sitars-tabla-india/81/sitar-accesories
Thank you for your responses
Jan
coyootie

Reply with quote  #2 
I'll bet it's some kind of rosewood. Names for wood are notoriously inaccurate. especially when crossing languages.I've seen "sandalwood" used in China to refer to rosewoods, for example.
Sandalwood, as used for incense, is way too soft to be functional for jawari.
yak.a.co

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for your opinion ... I was also thinking this way, cause I know the wood which is normally named sandal is too soft ... the point is it looks really nice and unusual and I would therefore like to use it as a design element on custom instruments, but I do not know how with its durability and tonal quality ... the kala sheeshum that I have used on some instrument was pretty strong and worked great with madhya and band that jawari, but I have never tried red sheeshum ... maybe will get some as a sample and lets see :wink:
kalyan

Reply with quote  #4 
I did jewari for a friend with a piece of purple heart rosewood a while back and I thought it had an excellent sound I would say it is a great wood for the purpose but I don't really know how long it lasts, Also when you put a hi shine on it it looks cool. It Is quite similar to some Indian rosewood in feel so I imagine the sonic properties wold be similar but I think in general it is quite a bit harder more like ebony http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/yeman5/IMG_1651-Copy.jpg

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
yak.a.co

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you Kalyan So now it is for sure I am going to try it!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.