INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
LudwigplaysLudwig

Reply with quote  #1 
What are the recordings of Indian Classical Music that every serious Tabla student should check out?

What are your opinions?

Max
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "LudwigplaysLudwig"
What are the recordings of Indian Classical Music that every serious Tabla student should check out?

What are your opinions?

Max
Just to clarify: do you mean recordings of Indian Classical Music (be it sitar, Sarod, vocal, etc...) generally with tabla accompaniment, or of tabla solo specifically?

If just looking for "definitive" ICM generally, there's a useful link on the sitar forum titled "identifying definitive classical recordings - must listen list":

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10263#p62227

pb

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
LudwigplaysLudwig

Reply with quote  #3 
I mean recordings of ICM with Tabla accompaniment on the first hand, especially those who stand out for their brilliant tabla playing or interplay between the musicians.
If there are some tips for Tabla Solo recordings - great!

Thanks for the link.

Max
Haturi

Reply with quote  #4 
If you are looking at the art of tabla accompaniment I particularly recommend anything featuring Pt.Shivkumar Sharma And Zakir Hussain.
These two enjoy a remarkable chemistry.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Haturi"
If you are looking at the art of tabla accompaniment I particularly recommend anything featuring Pt.Shivkumar Sharma And Zakir Hussain.
These two enjoy a remarkable chemistry.
Quite possibly because Pt. Shivkumar Sharma originally trained to be a tabla player before he was eventually steered into the santoor!

Here's one that I just recently stumbled upon with Pt. Shivkumar Sharma and Ut. Zakir Hussain:

Here are two more, this time with the late Ut. Vilayat Khan and Ut. Zakir Hussain providing superb tabla accompaniment:

pb

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
nobodypolishesthesun

Reply with quote  #6 
I really enjoy the album Ragas and Talas by Pt. Ravi Shankar, accompanied by Ustad Allah Rakha. Some very nice interplay between them and a nice rupak solo by AR.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
This is an old one (1992) with Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia on the flute. It's quite remarkable in that Zakirji shadows the flute with his bayan modulation for almost 3 minutes demonstrating his complete control over his bayan.

Tabla and Bansuri. Zakir Hussain vs Harip

pb

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.