INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
rajpuranik

Reply with quote  #1 
Need some advice from this forum. Over the past few months I have recorded and posted several simple tabla tutorials on my Youtube channel. I have been capturing audio/video with a regular webcam/integrated mic direct to PC, but I'm having difficulty capturing quality audio. The bayan sound is weak/non-existent, or a loud dayan generates static, etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a USB mic or other setup that's not too elaborate? The bass notes particularly are difficult to capture it seems. The Blue Yeti and Snowball microphones sound promising, but I thought I would ask tap your experiences first. I am also considering getting a mixer with a few mics, and plugging that into the PC.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

vilambit

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

I have had similar experience. I have a Samson G-Track USB microphone which allows simple mixing as well. However, it gave similar experience as you described as in very high sound on 'Dayan' and very low sound on 'Bayan'. The microphone came with Cakewalk Sonar 6 LE software for PC that I could use for recording.

While observing some old 'Tabla' video recordings like from 1960's wherein the 'Bayan' sounds equally well when compared to the sound of 'Dayan' what I observed is that when a single microphone was used then it was placed on the 'Bayan' side of the 'Tabla' and when two microphones were used, the one for 'Bayan' was placed very very close to it compared to the one that was used and placed for 'Dayan'. I have not experimented the placement variation myself and will be doing it soon. During my previous experimental recordings I had placed the microphone at a reasonable distance but exactly in the middle of the 'Tabla' set.

Did you ever use microphone placement variation ? If yes, what was the result ?

Best regards.

Vilambit
Tirakitataka

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Raj,

I have tried this a lot and found out that condenser mic is the only option to record properly. For that you need to use a microphone mixer with Phantom Power supply and connect the outup to your computer for recording.

I purchased all basic stuffs for this and costed me around AU$350 but the qualilty of the recording is excellent. Its not only recording but if you connect mixer to your home theater or powered speaker, the enjoyment of playing tabla is quite different.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,
rajpuranik

Reply with quote  #4 
I believe the USB mics Snowball and Yeti are condenser mics. So I'll try one of them first. If they don't work then I'll have to get a mixer I guess.

Vilambit, I've been using the mic integrated with the webcam, so the position is dictated by the video camera.

I think the problem is that the dayan sound is too loud and causes a disturbance in the recording, so I turned the recording volume way down, which then doesn't pick up the low end (i.e., the bayan/bass frequencies). I'm going to try recording just the bayan at a higher volume and post the result. It might be just a limitation of the mic's frequency range.

Thanks for the input.

vilambit

Reply with quote  #5 
Raj, I got your point.

I have now posted a recording on YouTube that I made using the condenser microphone Samson G Track. The link is provided below. This is not demonstration of ‘Tabla’ skills but a sample of sound quality. This recording was done at home in India with all doors and windows closed to avoid noise disturbances and practically no acoustic like padding on walls, carpet on floor etc. ! The ‘Lehra’ in the background is from ‘iLehra’. For listening to this recording, please use good external speakers or earphones.

I think a lot of improvement can be achieved in sound quality by improving the quality of the recording room, PC hardware (sound card in particular) etc.…

Regards.

Vilambit.
vincer

Reply with quote  #6 
i don't know much about tabla yet but i know a few things about recording,

here are a few important things to consider

soundcard: no effect especially with a usb mic as the analog to digital convesion is made inside the mic and doesn't rely on the soundcard at all, the soundcard will only affect the playback of your recording

mic: if you want a good bass response you need to choose a large diaphragm condenser or even a dynamic to a small diaphragm condenser mic, there's also a lot of work to do on the placement, if you need more bayan maybe try to put the mic closer to the bayan than the dayan, if you want more room acoustics place the mic in front of the tabla 1m away, etc...

sound treatment: it can go a long way, a bit of equalisation could be exactly what you looking for, it can be a little tricky at first but it will really make the sound shines

room acoustic: as mentionned it's a very important factor and often very underrated, all room have flaws in their frequency response, one solution might be to check the response at different locations in the room to make sure you're not sitting in a spot were the bass frequencies are cancelled, you will noticed that more often than not the corner of the room will emphasize the bass response

instrument and performance: the most important thing obviously, you won't get a good recording from a half good tabla or from an average player(i'm not saying that you're a bad player by the way)
also adapting your playing to the recording is a very good practise for example trying to emphasize your bayan playing more when you're recording
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.