INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
kleoirh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I'm new a member to this forum, which I usually check since a few months. I recently read a topic (http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3872) where some of you are identifying the tablaist playing on a record.
I have been practising for (only) two years now, and I am ashamed of admitting that I am absolutely not able to recognize the style of a tabla player, even of the player who are told to be easily recognizable (like Zakirji or Anindoda). Furthermore I don't know well the differences between gharanas, which could (or not ?) help me in this task.
So what indication helps you to identify a tabla player ? And where could I find information about the style of gharanas ?

Thank you very much (and please excuse my approximate english !)
rapture

Reply with quote  #2 
this is a silly thing to worry about at this point in your tabla journey. i would just say.....listen to as many recordings of the great players as you can. while you're listening, try to understand what they are playing. you will need to grow more as a tabla player yourself before you start picking up on more subtle aspects of other people's playing.

-r
kleoirh

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for replying me rapture,
Actually I was more wondering about my abilities than worrying. When I read the topic I mentioned, I was just wondering if it was common to recognize the style of these masters, or if I was an exception and really had to be disturbed !
I follow your advice and try to listen, listen, listen as much as I can... Most of the time I don't understand what is being played - which of course doesn't remove beauty of the tune- but when I can catch it ... it's wonderful !
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #4 
kleoirh,

Im the one who identified the tabla players in the aforementioned post. Dont worry about all that right now. Honestly, the concept of gharana is pretty much extinct now. You will hear every modern tabla player cross over gharanas now. I cant think of one tabla player that has a purely homogenous repertoire.

I pride myself on having spend thousands of hours listening to the music - not "hearing" it mind you. This is something that (to my horror) many learning tabla players dont do. Dont be alarmed if you cant recognize someone right away. Just make sure you listen to the masters, both in sangat and in tabla solo and recognize patterns that tend to emerge.

After many years of listening, at this point I'd be confident in saying that I can listen to any tabla solo and identify the tabla player right away and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise...The main point of this is to spend time listening.

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello tablafreak,

I perfectly understand what you mean by 'listening', and not 'hearing' music.. To my ears, which are not really used to this kind of music, the difference is fundamental.
Thanks, I know what's left for me to do.. !
at123

Reply with quote  #6 
I have this same problem. It takes a very long time to be able to listen to tabla music and understand exactly what is being played. Listening itself also takes a lot of "practice" just as regular practice...

at123
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.