INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #31 
I am surprised, confused and perplexed as to how one can claim to learn a language effectively without being able to recite adequitely.

I agree above 200bpm, (general upper range) physical recitation may not be possible and that is when the mind's recitation comes in to play. However, I doubt folks on this forum (except may be less than 5 that used to post) and including myself play at that speed.

Recite, Recite, and then Recite. Generall speaking, the sound produced from the instrument is half as good as the intendd composition if the recitation practise is not there. In the old days, people were not alowed to write compositions for this reason and also for the reason of secreacy. The latter was more important than the former.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
I am surprised, confused and perplexed as to how one can claim to learn a language effectively without being able to recite adequitely.

I agree above 200bpm, (general upper range) physical recitation may not be possible and that is when the mind's recitation comes in to play. However, I doubt folks on this forum (except may be less than 5 that used to post) and including myself play at that speed.

Recite, Recite, and then Recite. Generall speaking, the sound produced from the instrument is half as good as the intendd composition if the recitation practise is not there. In the old days, people were not alowed to write compositions for this reason and also for the reason of secreacy. The latter was more important than the former.
I probably don't recite as much as I should, although part of my excuse might be that much of my tabla practice tends to be exercises of various phrases as opposed to full fledged kaidas and so on, although I do tend to recite at least a couple of times the phrase that I am about to practice (But I have a feeling I should recite throughout the entire practice maybe?) Certainly the evidence seems quite robust that memorizing anything is almost always improved when it is said aloud (not just just internally). It's apparently called the "modality effect":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modality_effect

In a more speculative vein, there is also reason (and evidence) to believe that in the same way that visualizing a physical activity can often help improve the performance of that physical activity (and often used by sports coaches) it may be that verbalizing the correlated physical activity may also improve the physical performance of that activity in similar ways (though the psychomotor pathways involved are far from clear, or so I gather). (I read something to that effect some time ago but cannot locate the actual reference, hence my cautious use of the word "may"!).

on a side note: the typical average speaker can manage 120 words per minute with clear articulation. The world record is something over 600 words per minute! Some (crazy) examples are easy to find on youtube.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.