INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
StVitus

Reply with quote  #16 
I wish I could find a sitar made in China. Chinese instruments are significantly nicer than Indian instruments!
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #17 
What a silly comment !! Seen ALL Indian made sitars have we ???? You've not seen MY collection.!?!?!?!?
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #18 
Yeah man, China is not exactly known for putting out "quality" products, although I'm sure some exist. LOL

I'd love to see your collection Nick. Have a picture?
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #19 
Check out my facebook page. See trippymonkey.
https://www.facebook.com/nick.proctor.50
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #20 
Wow, really great collection Nick. Looks like you've been at it for some time! I'm just getting into it. Love the Kanailal & Brother pics, are those still for sale? Would love to get my hands on a nice one.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #21 
Great INDEED. Been collecting & 'rescuing' many, many years now. Have a great friend in Varanasi, called Vijay who's been getting all his friends in Kolkatta to look for oldies & WHAT beauts they've turned up. Peeps needing to sell & have been in some right states but basically good. Some REAL treasures of big makers such as Hiren Roy & Kanailal etc.
It IS for sale so.... Presuming you mean the one at the top of my posts on FB??? Have a look & tell me on there which ones you like &, importantly, your budget & where you are, as I don't want to send out of the UK. Sorry.
Nick
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #22 
Ok, I'll send a PM. 
mahadev

Reply with quote  #23 
Does not look right to me. I could be wrong but I don't think this a real Naskar. The Tumba is much too big /high. The proportions don't look right. Post a few more pictures.

Reply with quote  #24 
They sent a video of it. Just shipped today!
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #25 
Interesting. Naskar & Co. said that both tags are not authentic -- inlcluding the other example someone posted her on this thread.

I'm not sure if whoever is responding on Facebook just doesn't know what they're talking about, or if in fact these older tags aren't authentic. [confused]

My guess (hope?) is the former.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 1.31.13 PM.png 

katyrow

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael MacLean

I'm not sure if whoever is responding on Facebook just doesn't know what they're talking about, or if in fact these older tags aren't authentic. [confused] 

The one that you bought, the one for sale by Sitarsencat, and the unusual plastic one below are the only supposed Naskar's badges that I've seen with cursive or lower case lettering.  Other badges (real and probably some fake) posted below.  The current badge (I think) is at the bottom.

100_7687aa.jpg  3815aa.jpg  10402833_10204257340093104_1439897617629215867_ndd.jpg  10530684_10204781745802919_7827478458410334462_nddaa.jpg  11039841_1539209036342426_3619079288780776082_naa.jpg  fully-decorated-naskar-sitar_360_2d55919d86d415f460bd1d762f01d7eb (1)a.jpg  IMG_1133aaa.jpg  IMG0159_dtlaa7.jpg  IMG0192_Dtl5.jpg  naskar_sitar_08a.jpg  Naskarb2aa.jpg  Naskar's (2)aa.jpg  naskarsitar60_11aa.jpg  naskarsitarbadgeaa.jpg  nsk4aa.jpg  y10s-l1600aa.jpg

Lars

Reply with quote  #27 
Keep in mind these are the folks who denied their shop was rented out as a toilet supply company for many years until Naskars son retired from his day job. I saw it years ago as well as many friends.
Whether that label is on the sitar it was originally put on is another matter but it doesn't look like so many of the fake ones you see now. I doubt there's a big enough interest in old Naskars to warrant manufacture of fake labels. As for their new sitars they have some really great wood stored up and the structures are nice, proper setup and fitting definitely needed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael MacLean
Interesting. Naskar & Co. said that both tags are not authentic -- inlcluding the other example someone posted her on this thread.

My guess (hope?) is the former.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 1.31.13 PM.png 

Reply with quote  #28 
[confused]

[smile][smile][smile]

hahahahaha.....

OMG

not enough interest to warrant the manufacture of fake labels ?

Anything to make a buck, my dear.  Manufacturing labels in India costs absolutely peanuts !

Reply with quote  #29 
So all the 'Naskar's' I'VE ever had have all had the plate on the first, some between & that last one, on them. The small black, silver lettering type. They're excellent sitars regardless !?!?!?
Good News ?!!!?

Shouldn't the sitar matter more than the nameplate ?!?!? Don't think I've ever bought a sitar because of its plate. Always played where possible & bought from that.!!!
Nick
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #30 
Agreed Nick! At the end of the day it's all about the construction and how it plays...

Yes Max I would imagine there are a million fake nameplates floating around. I guess apart from buying directly at the shop there's no good way to know.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.