INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello, I can't tell if this is an authentic Naskar's or not? I haven't seen other tags like this one, and I tried emailing them and no response. Any ideas? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 9.16.53 PM.png

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks real to me. I have several of their wonderful sitars. Don't think they exist anymore - certainly not as they used to be.
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #3 
The reason I ask is because the lettering is lowercase and there is an underline beneath the name. I haven't seen that anywhere else. All the other tags I see are in all caps and have no underline. I wish I could find another example like this online but haven't had any luck.

I would also think the nails would show some wear on the black paint, but appear new, unless the were solid black?

What makes you think this is original?
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Here is one with the same tag.
http://www.sitarsencat.com/prod-sitar-sitars-tabla-india/334/naskar-sitar-1970
katyrow

Reply with quote  #5 

The Naskar's restoration project that I posted about a few days ago has a similar badge.  Unfortunately, a genuine Naskar's badge doesn't mean that the sitar is genuine because badges are easily moved from genuine instruments that are damaged beyond repair to lesser instruments that are in better condition.  These are fragile instruments, so I think that happens pretty often.  The badges are also easily faked.  I'm always skeptical of a badge in that kind of cosmetic condition because it is protected by both the meru and the strings and "aging" can be used to hide flaws in a fake badge.  I've also never seen headstock binding like that on a vintage Naskar's.  Can you post photos of the sitar itself?  That should provide the answer with reasonable certainty because they have distinctive features that are easy to spot.

katyrow

Reply with quote  #6 
I recognize this sitar.  If it's the one pictured below, my 2 cents is that it's not a Naskar's, but there's no way to know for sure.  It would have been more convincing with a Kartar Chand badge. Obviously, it could still be a great instrument even if it is mis-badged. 

Sitarqq.jpg 

Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #7 
Interesting. So the consensus is, maybe a decent Sitar, but likely not Naskar?

Yep, that's the one!

s-l1600-6.jpg  s-l1600-5.jpg  s-l1600-4.jpg  s-l1600-3.jpg  s-l1600-2.jpg 

Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #8 
Yeah, I figured it would be very easy to take a badge from a destroyed one and attach to a copy.
Lars

Reply with quote  #9 
So keep in mind that other people actually made the instrument structures. So you'll see similar carvings on different makers instruments as the same people were hired to do them. A good maker back then had other 'signature' ways where you could tell they were the 'maker' and fitted the instrument. Nowadays many who buy them from Kolkata don't even bother to even do these small things unless it's a top level instrument. Fortunately not many know what they are so the fakes are easier to spot. But you're right, they're taking old badges or even making new ones and putting them on old generic sitars and selling them to tourists mainly. Better to leave the badges off in that case I would think, but if it sounds good then ok....the first sitar I ever saw close up was an old Naskar KP, was quite nice.

Lars

Reply with quote  #10 
Very true. What are your thoughts on this one Lars?
Lars

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael MacLean
Very true. What are your thoughts on this one Lars?

I think it's genuine, a student level sitar from them....its been reworked though.

Lars

Reply with quote  #12 
How can you tell re-worked? By the condition of the badge vs instrument? Approx value?
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #13 
Well I bought it. Probably more than I should have paid but he wouldn't budge on the price. Let's see...
katyrow

Reply with quote  #14 
Shipping costs more than he actually charges and the fiberglass case is worth about $100.  If it plays nicely and sounds good, the price was fair.  Enjoy!
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #15 
Yes, that’s what I figured. Will report back!

Watch me find a made in China sticker on it... 😂
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.