INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
peppardj3@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello! :)

I'm very new to Sitar & I've been trying to find Ravi Shankar's Sitar Tuning and can only seem to find the chart that shows you the tuning of the playing strings and not the sympathetic strings, so I was wondering does anybody have a chart that shows you his tuning of the sympathetic strings in western terms (C# - F#) etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
RagaMeister19

Reply with quote  #2 
This is how I tune in C# Ravi Shankar Style. There are others but this is a standard tuning that I got form this web site. The #1 main string is the top peg closest to the nut. I will attach a chart that can also show how this is tuned. The #1 tarab string is closest to the headstock and works their way down towards the neck joint. I hope you can get a teacher as this is a difficult instrument to learn and technique is very important to playing ragas. Good luck. [thumb]

My Sitar Tuning

Ravi Shankar StyleString Gauges

Key of C#

1st  String - Ma - F#.012 - Steel

2nd String - Sa - C#.016 - Bronze

3rd  String - Ga - G#.022 - Bronze

4th  String - Sa - C# .028 - Bronze

Chikari - Pa - G#.009 - Steel

Chikari - Sa - C#.009 - Steel

Chikari - sa - c#.009 - Steel

Tarab Strings - .009 - Steel

1   Sa   c#

2   Ni    c

3   Sa   c#

4   Re   d#

5   Ga   f

6   Ga   f

7   Ma   f#

8   Pa    g#

9   Pa    g#

10 Dha  a#

11 Ni    c

12 Sa   c#

13 Sa   c#

Attached Images
png Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 7.19.33 AM.png (545.88 KB, 12 views)

peppardj3@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you so much! this is very helpful.

Can you suggest any phone apps to aid with the tuning ?
katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppardj3@gmail.com

Can you suggest any phone apps to aid with the tuning ?

For tuning sympathetics to various rags:  Samvada  (free, but iPhone only I think).  Tarabs should be tuned only to the notes of the rag you are playing.  Tuning the tarabs to the rag is the first essential step in learning to play.    

For tuning generally:  iStroboSoft by Peterson.  It has a sitar plug-in for a very modest cost.

You need a tuner with a sitar or pure tone/just intonation setting and that allows you to change the tonic or pedal tone.  Tuners for guitar, piano, etc. use a tempered scale, which is out of tune by design so the instrument can be played in any key without being re-tuned when the tonic changes.  If you use a guitar tuner, your instrument will be out of tune.  
RagaMeister19

Reply with quote  #5 
For tuning all strings on a sitar or any other stringed instrument for that matter, I use a Snark guitar tuner. It works very well for sitar and clips on the little extension off the nut. Works great for Dilruba and Esraj as well. My sitar was tuned in C# and my Dilruba and Esraj were tuned in D. You can get a Snark at any guitar retailer or go online to Amazon. They go for about $12. [thumb]
barend

Reply with quote  #6 
I tune the 13 tarafs like this (lowest to highest pitch). I think this is the most common tuning:
SNSSRGMPDNSRG. You can also do SNSRGMPDNSRGM. So ending with a high Ma instead of Ga.
The taraf tuning in post #2 with double Ga and Pa and high Sa is not so common I think.

I recently changed to tuning from VK to RS style. You can check this topic:
https://forum.chandrakantha.com/post/changed-my-taraf-tuning-after-many-years-10480764?pid=1311222309
peppardj3@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #7 
The only thing I find difficult is knowing what sound they are. For example. You have Sa Sa so are they both the same or is one an octave higher. So when tuning the sympathetic strings will they always keep going up, so literally, lowest to highest or will there be two the same pitch
barend

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppardj3@gmail.com
The only thing I find difficult is knowing what sound they are. For example. You have Sa Sa so are they both the same or is one an octave higher

The Sa Sa taraf is the same pitch. For the rest they run from low to high pitch in order.
peppardj3@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you so much!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.