INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Ravi Shankar - Raga Jogeshwari

Someone just uploaded this today, and I've only listened to the alap so far, but I find it absolutely beautiful - very sweet and very melancholic ... and the recording seems to be of very high quality.

Quote:
Published on Jul 7, 2013
Raga Jogeshwari ( 50.07 )
-Alap ( 13.41 )
-Jor ( 12.40 )
Gat1 ( Jhaptaal ) ( 17.10 )
Gat2 ( Ektaal ) ( 06.36 )
Ravi Shankar - Sitar
Alla Rakha - Tablas
& 2 Tanpuras.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
zachbram

Reply with quote  #2 
Ive also listened to it today, very beautiful.

I was somewhat suprised by the depth of the alaap.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "zachbram"
Ive also listened to it today, very beautiful.

I was somewhat suprised by the depth of the alaap.
It actually reminds me of Pt. Nikhil Banerjee's playing style.

It seems to be from "Ravi Shankar - The Master"
Quote:
Original Release Date: February 23, 2010
Release Date: February 23, 2010
Number of Discs: 3
Label: DG
Copyright: (C) 2010 Deutsche Grammophon GmbH, Hamburg
Record Company Required Metadata: Music file metadata contains unique purchase identifier. Learn more.
Total Length: 3:12:26

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
zachbram

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
I was actually thinking the same!
ahirbhairav

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "zachbram"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
I was actually thinking the same!
Because Nikhil Banerjee was a disciple of Allaudin Khan, and so was Ravi Shankar. They are BOTH from Maihar Gharana, what do you expect?

Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #6 
Actually, even though they had the same Guru, they have remarkably different styles.
It is very rare to hear something out of Raviji that reminds you of Nikhil Banerjee, and vice versa.
In fact, Allauddin Khan told Nikhil Banerjee that he would teach him to play in a completely different style than that of Ravi Shankar.

In NB's own words:
"I've been asked, 'You and Ravi Shankar being disciples of the same person, why are your styles and approaches to music different?' This is because my teacher understood. The first time I went to [Allauddin Khan] the first thing my teacher said, 'I will channelize you in a different way, I will put you in a different way than Ravi Shankar. There will be no similarity.' "

Anyhoo, the point is that if a Raviji recording reminds you of Nikhil Banerjee's playing, it is a rare thing.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #7 
The alaap really sounds like a hybrid of the two, all the telltale PRS components are still there, the usual ornaments, just with a really sustained, mellifluous character that takes me directly to Nikhil Banerjee's style of play. Is it just me or is that jawari just a bit more closed than usual?

Edit: Fast-forwarded to the gats and for me at least, he settles a little more into his normal style.
zachbram

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ahirbhairav"
Because Nikhil Banerjee was a disciple of Allaudin Khan, and so was Ravi Shankar. They are BOTH from Maihar Gharana, what do you expect?
Mind-blowing
Sitarismylife

Reply with quote  #9 
I read somewhere that Baba himself had said that he trained Pt. Nikhil Banerjee in the Lucknow style and Pt. Ravi Shankar in the dhrupadia rudra been style. Some also say that his style of playing with lots of zamzama and krintan is an influence from the Jaipur-Atrauli gharana. Here, we must also remember that Baba himself had the knowledge of many genres.
ahirbhairav

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
Actually, even though they had the same Guru, they have remarkably different styles.
It is very rare to hear something out of Raviji that reminds you of Nikhil Banerjee, and vice versa.
In fact, Allauddin Khan told Nikhil Banerjee that he would teach him to play in a completely different style than that of Ravi Shankar.

In NB's own words:
"I've been asked, 'You and Ravi Shankar being disciples of the same person, why are your styles and approaches to music different?' This is because my teacher understood. The first time I went to [Allauddin Khan] the first thing my teacher said, 'I will channelize you in a different way, I will put you in a different way than Ravi Shankar. There will be no similarity.' "

Anyhoo, the point is that if a Raviji recording reminds you of Nikhil Banerjee's playing, it is a rare thing.
Yes, but still there has to be SOME similarity in the way both played...

Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)
JazzMathias

Reply with quote  #11 
This is my favorite Ravi Shankar recording (perhaps even ICM recording)! I've been listening to it for a couple of years, after having been out and going late to bed or when biking home through the city deep at night.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.