INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
vevek

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Everyone

Does anyone have a copy of the video of this concert?. Mr. Monkey, perchance you have it lurking in your dungeon? Apparently it was broadcast on a indian tv channel at some point. It is not commercially available as far as i can ascertain. The sound mix from the video is much better than the CD.
cheers
V
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Sorry I don't have a copy but I can enquire of my India contacts. I. too, would really like to see it.
Did anyone else here get that absolutely fantastic CD/DVD issue of Shankar Family & Friends & R S 's Music Fest From India. with Chants of India as 3 CDs directly connected to George Harrison producing. It also had what was recorded in the early 70s of a 'broadcast'??? of Music Festival Of India. The Shankar Family & Music Festival From India are two of my most fave RS recordings. I always felt he excelled far more in his Indian orchestral stuff than anything else he did!! YEARS AHEAD!!!
A nicely priced BEAUTIFULLY produced boxed set.

OH BTW
At the mo there's quite a bit uploaded on youtube of rare interviews etc of the Pandit. Check them out.
Also of U Vilayat Khan too!!!!

Nick
vevek

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Nick

Thanks for the response. I hope your contacts in India are resourceful because it is a stunning video, The Piloo is especially mindblowing. Years ahead indeed. You should get Phillip Glass's comments on Raviji's composing style..very interesting. Glass as you probably aware, was assigned to Raviji to notate the music for Charly.

I rushed out and ordered the CD/DVD set the day you mentioned it on the forum. It is definitely a must have for all Ravi fans. Thanks for the tip and thanks also for all the new bits and pieces you uploaded recently. We are all in your debt gov'.
cheers
V
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
OH BTW
At the mo there's quite a bit uploaded on youtube of rare interviews etc of the Pandit. Check them out.
Can you point me in the right direction for these? I'm a bit of a fan, I admit, and find his interviews interesting.

I'll have to look up that other box set. I've been immersed in his sitar concerto #2 lately, the Lalit and Yaman Kalyan of that one are fantastic.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
n
As far as the Youtube stuff is concerned, just 'search' Ravi Shankar & his clips, newest at the top I think, will come up on the right side.

V
I have some interesting interviews with Philip Glass. A recent DVD has him working with Pt-ji on a new piece. I've always been trying to get as many of the movies Ravi-ji did the music for as I can. I have Chappaqua, Alice In Wonderland (BBC play 1966), just about ALL of his Hindi movies stuff from early/mid 50s Godaan up to Meera, the Canadian A Chairy Tale. A few still elude me such as Dharti Ke Lal (Children Of The Earth) although I think I saw a clip or 2 on youtube.
One which has completely 'gotten away' so far is a short he did in England called Viola about a man haunted by a cat. I have the CD of the music & have seen wiki's contributions etc but nothing so far. Anyone?!?!?!

Also forgot to mention that gorgeous book you get with the CD/DVD box set of his. GREAT!!!

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.