INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarfish

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi folks,
I was just watching a ravi video when I noticed that he actually uses a totally different right hand technique for alap. The subtletey of his chikari strokes seems to come from the fact that he uses up strokes for most of the chikari notes in alap. Does anyone have any pointers they could give me for this approach? I've been trying it out and love the way it sounds so far.
thanks!
Dspeck

Reply with quote  #2 
Not sure if I understand your question correctly. Have you tried up-strokes on the chikaris yet?
Neal

Reply with quote  #3 
Which video?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
It really only works for the Pandit because he has no PA string just before the chikari 2.
It's all to do with the style of playing he himself has invented.

BTW I NEVER do up strokes on the chikari.

Nick
sitarfish

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks all! I've experimented with the upstrokes, and I think I'll go back to my original down strokes. Does sound amazing for Ravi tho. I might try reapproaching it in the future. It seems to necessitate having a tampura drone in order for this to work (in my opinion)
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Back in those good ol' days when I had the good fortune to sit with this great man, I noticed his chikari hit style. He does two things that break from tradition. 1. he will on occasion use his pinky on those strings like the technique used on a Saraswati Veena or Rudra Veena. 2. The upstroke motion is actually more of an ' across ' motion. Instead of hitting the strings in order of #6 then #7, he sets his hand so the the mizrab hits the #7 chikari in a plane almost perpendicular to the face of the instrument. With this angle of attack, he gets the jhalla effect of three chikari hits following a MA string note using a ' RA DA RA ' mizrab motion. It is more efficient than the standard ' RA RA RA ' motion and at speed and with this angle of attack, it works. Those chikari strings are also set over the top edge of the neck, not 1/2" out into the stratosphere where so many sitars are being set up lately. This string position makes such a finger motion much easier to pull off.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.