INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
festus

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone know the tuning for a Ravanhasta?

this one has 2 main (hand-twisted) steel strings and 12 symp. strings

jimimarshall

Reply with quote  #2 
hi, i recorded a guy playing each string in jaisalmer,india so i could use it to tune up to, might be of some help to you but its a bit hard to guess which string is which. if you want this file then email me at jmmusicproduction@googlemail.com and i'll send it to you. jimi
Indianmusiclover

Reply with quote  #3 
Does anyone know where I can buy a ravanhasta? Thank you.
satwas

Reply with quote  #4 
hi lived in an ravanhatta famaly cupelle of month
tey tune the sa twistet string to sa also the horse string (sometimes they use plastic or twistet wire this meens it is not good one .. u can put real horse in side if u can :wink: .)normaly the have 15 tarf it is tunet just to major skale starting from hig sa the very left to low sa very left .yes tey are one octave lower than the playing range . the lower sa is from brass and quite loose . they use to take bad wire from telefon wire shielding or other srap .take sitar wire its better than . u can tune as u like . sometimes wen they want to play lower ni they tune the drone down an use it as ni .mostly the sa is around c but no geneal rules it is uset 4 siging akompaniment . so they tune to voice . if u need an good one i can help u .bey
festus

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for your response........ I found this out a couple months ago .... from this cat in NY state
Do you know anyone from Nadsadhna Musicals, Jaipur, RJ, India ?... they can locate items not always readily available
:wink:
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #6 
festus
Does this 'cat' you speak of use 'catgut' for his strings???

Nick
festus

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh Trippy, you crack me up :wink:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.