INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #1 
Dear forum members,

It is with heavy heart that I share the news of Ramakant Gundecha's sudden passing. Some of you already know, I am sure. 

From the word going around among students, it was a sudden heart attack that took our beloved teacher, who was otherwise in the midst of an active teaching and performing schedule, in seemingly good health and spirits. 

***Update*** Link to an official report: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bhopal/dhrupad-maestro-ramakant-gundecha-passes-away-in-madhya-pradesh/articleshow/71974664.cms?fbclid=IwAR3VUILoZHdov3Fmtg_jouYTxfaDMuUoQ-ifv8XPskPVFqMThUWmavVH-hk

The community is stunned by this news, and grieving the loss of a present-day master, devoted to spreading understanding of, and appreciation for, Dhrupad to all. 

I had the great privilege of studying with him for the last two years. He taught so clearly and openly, taking great interest in each student's journey, particular struggles, and so on. He was such a sensitive musician, and his insights to the ragas were unlike anything else I have previously received. He was a one-of-a-kind teacher who enriched the lives of countless music-lovers around the world. 

It is a sad day for the Dhrupad community, Indian Classical Music, and the world of music as a whole.
geezerjazz

Reply with quote  #2 
So sad. Ramakant was not only a great musician, but also an interesting, compassionate, and likable human being. I will remember him fondly.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.