INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #1 

Saw this on the facebook tabla group - thought some of you would be interested ! Looks like a great performance - !

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
One of my favorite Sarangi players (not that I listen to many, the late Sultan Khan and Ramesh Mishra being the only 2 that come to mind). The first I heard of him was late 90s, and I was somewhat undecided about whether or not I liked the sarangi until I heard Ram Narayan play it. His was the most soulful I had ever heard.

Among my Indian friends (and fellow ICM lovers) when I was a graduate student in Boulder, Colorado, a charming story circulated amongst some of them to the effect that Pandit Ram Narayan always carried with him a miniature sarangi that he would practice wherever he went when a full size sarangi was not practical, and would practice even in bed whilst falling asleep! I was then given to believe that this miniature instrument could fit in the palm of one's hand! I thought that level of dedication to riyaz absolutely charming and indeed awe inspiring, except of course that it does *not* seem to be true! The facts (as revealed by the all seeing wiki!) is that he came to be fascinated by a small sarangi when he was 6 years old and first learned fingering techniques on that small (but not necessarily palm-sized miniature!) instrument.

Btw, the wiki entry for Pt. Ram Narayan is well worth reading. If you don't get around to reading this lengthy article, here are 3 interesting bits from it:

1. His older brother is the famed tabla player Chatur Lal
2. His first solo performance in 1954 in India was a disaster as an impatient audience hungry for the more famous musicians practically ushered him off the stage!
3. Sadly, he doesn't believe the sarangi will survive in the long run.

Not belonging to facebook, I'm curious as to why Ram Narayan would be the subject of discussion on the facebook tabla group.

Pascal
p.s. we're all familiar with the terminology of "re-heading" a tabla when necessary. Apparently when a sarangi bow is worn out, it goes through a process they call "re-hairing" a sarangi bow! (we need an icon to signify "giggling" since that made me giggle a bit, but not with a full-on lol!)

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
assingh

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello Pascal,

I like listening to the following Sarangi players.

Pt. Ramesh Mishra
Ustad Sultan Khan
Ustad Lakha Khan
Ustad Sabri Khan
Pandit Ram Naryan

Young Generation:

Pankaj Mishra

Gouri Banerjee

I believe that due to the bad treatment of Sarangi players in olden times could be the reason for having opinion that Sarangi may not last.

Regards,
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "assingh"
Hello Pascal,

I like listening to the following Sarangi players.

Pt. Ramesh Mishra
Ustad Sultan Khan
Ustad Lakha Khan
Ustad Sabri Khan
Pandit Ram Naryan

Young Generation:

Pankaj Mishra

Gouri Banerjee
The sarangi is the instrument I have the least examples of in my CD collection. I have some Sultan Khan, Some Ramesh Mishra, more of Ram Narayan and nothing of Sabri Khan (but I have heard of him) and nothing of Lakha Khan, never having heard of him before. I've only recently heard of Pankaj Mishra since he accompanied Pt. Swapan Chaudhuri recently, and have not heard of Gouri Banerjee.

Quote:
I believe that due to the bad treatment of Sarangi players in olden times could be the reason for having opinion that Sarangi may not last.

Regards,
Very strange that there would be bad treatment of Sarangi players, though apparently they were mostly thought of as "mere" accompanist (like tabla players!) and thus relegated to second-class status. Moreover the supply of Sarangi players may well be dwindling in part because the easier to play harmonium is quickly overtaking the Sarangi for playing the lehara for tabla players and singers.

Pt. Ram Narayan apparently was able to give up accompanying (both singers and tabla players) only because he was able to make a living by touring Europe, where he was apparently quite well received.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
If you don't get around to reading this lengthy article, here are 3 interesting bits from it:

1. His older brother is the famed tabla player Chatur Lal
2. His first solo performance in 1954 in India was a disaster as an impatient audience hungry for the more famous musicians practically ushered him off the stage!
3. Sadly, he doesn't believe the sarangi will survive in the long run.

Not belonging to facebook, I'm curious as to why Ram Narayan would be the subject of discussion on the facebook tabla group.

Pascal
p.s. we're all familiar with the terminology of "re-heading" a tabla when necessary. Apparently when a sarangi bow is worn out, it goes through a process they call "re-hairing" a sarangi bow! (we need an icon to signify "giggling" since that made me giggle a bit, but not with a full-on lol!)
Interesting notes Pascal ! Not much/real discussions happen on facebook - every now and then someone posts an interesting link to a video that's all !

<-- this video was also recently posted - Ravi Shankar, Alla Rakha - Tabla Solo in Jhaptal -ravi shankar shows great knowledge on tabla!

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.