INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kath

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone,

does someone have any experience in dealing with Raj Musicals from Delhi.

I am especially interested in bying a harmonium, but would like to hear also general opinions.

Thanks,
Kath
goljawari

Reply with quote  #2 
Yes, I have dealt with them when obtaining a sitar during my last visit to Delhi. I had a Delhi sitar player helping me with the arrangements (which helped, in this case). The dealings for me were very straight forward, smooth, they were helpful with all my inquiries, and the price was very good for the sitar. Of course, all of this happened when I was in India, which of course is a whole other ball game as compared to mail ordering etc. If you're going to be in Delhi, then I can give my personal rec. If you're dealing with them online, then I don't have any experience there, but the establishment and the peps there seemed responsible and professional. Good luck
GJW
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
If you are living in the USA it is probably MUCH easier just to buy one from a domestic seller.

Keshav Music sells good Harmoniums.
http://www.keshav-music.com/harmoniums.htm

Or you can try Ali Akbar School of Music shop.
http://www.aacm.org/shop/harmonium.html

Trying to figure out how to deal with an indian source without someone over there to help out is probably a headache waiting to happen.
It is worth it to spend a little bit more and get an instrument that is in great shape and has some guarantee of satisfaction.
Kath

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi,

thank you for your comments.

No, I am not living in the US, otherwise I would probably do so.

You are lucky to have some decent shops over there.

On the other side, it is also fun to take a risk and see what arrives, if at all! :wink:

Thanks,
Kath
glorplaxy

Reply with quote  #5 
I am also interested in learning more about Raj Musicals. Are the prices online different from the prices you would find if you were to actually go to their store in Delhi? I'm interested in their seni rabab...
arnabsarod

Reply with quote  #6 
Raj Musicals had built a sarode for one of my students here in Delhi.

The price was very reasonable at Rs. 15,000, but that was about the only thing that was good about this instrument. The plate had many dents on it, which made it impossible to slide even one whole tone without the meend dying out. The pegs were truly square and the holes round, and it was impossible to keep the thing in tune. The action height at the point farthest away from the nut was about 1". I can't comment on other instruments, but as far as sarode is concerned, these guys clearly don't know what they are doing.
glorplaxy

Reply with quote  #7 
What arnab just said makes me wonder about the quality of their seni rabab.

Is Raj Musicals mainly popular just because it's got a website and thus can draw more foreigners in?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.