INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
I want to raise the nut on my sitar because I have some problem with open string rattle (not from the jawari but from the nut). But it is glued very tight and doesn't come of easily.

So three questions:
-how can I loosen the nut?
-how do I make it higher? what material do I have to place underneath the nut to raise it?
-how high should it be?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
I think you'll be a lot better off if you just get a hammer and a small stick and hammer down the first two - three frets that tiny little bit. It's worked for me many times in the past. As usual, be careful and tap lightly. If you reeeely gotta raise that nut, you can put a shim about 1/6" under each side of the nut. It will not need to cover the entire neck width, just the ends. As often is the case, the neck is cut through in the middle area so a full width spread is not needed. Your choice here - whatever is easiest for you to install. Getting the old nut out - you might be able to hammer that beast sideways with a block of wood (pencil size and square ended). DOOOO be careful. You might even, in severest cases drag an Xacto razor saw into the area and cut a relief line that will aid the cause. Good luck !!!

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
If you reeeely gotta raise that nut, you can put a shim about 1/6" under each side of the nut.
all string have a little rattle if i play really loud and the kharaj always has a rattle. Also the grooves for the strings are very undeep. So I think I have to raise the nut and cut deeper grooves for the strings.

What is a 'shim' ? I don't know that word.

and how high should the strings be from the first the fret?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
"Shim" - a piece of whatever suitable placed between the neck and where the nut would sit on. Bone, deer horn, wood - whatever is available, looks good and works. Set these little flat pieces (or single long piece) into the slot where the nut sets in. Glue the nut back in place. The shim becomes the new platform and as a result, the nut sits higher.

I'm thinking that if you are really creative, you could either cut new slots for the strings that are not as deep as the original slots. This will raise the string height in relation to the frets. If you reeeely need the exact string position the same, you could cut out the string slots leaving you with with blocks cut out 1/8" or so wide. Cut and glue in new replacement blocks of deer horn on the nut. When the glue is dry, file and sand the blocks until smooth all around. Cut your new slots and play away.

String height - Press the MA string on fret #3. Look at the string at fret #4 and see how height it is above fret #4. This string height should be the same at each fret and also at fret #1 as fed from the nut (open string).

Minor thing you could also do would be to lightly cut the existing string slots (or new slots) at a slight down ward angle so that the slots are slightly lower on the peg side. You might also see what the height of the MA string is at the fret closest to the bridge. Raising the bridge, if needed, will help the rattle issue at the nut as well.

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
"I'm thinking that if you are really creative, you could either cut new slots for the strings that are not as deep as the original slots. This will raise the string height in relation to the frets. .
On my sitar the nut has very undeep grooves. That is another problem, the kharaj falls out the groove when I play big meends on the lower frets, that is one more reason to raise the nut...my main concern is to get the nut loose without damaging it.
barend

Reply with quote  #6 
I finally managed to get the nut out. It was glued really tight. It took me 45 minutes to get it out. I have put some wood chips under it to raise it. It seems to work better now. No more rattles. Maybe it is even too high now and I have to cut some deeper grooves.

But do I need to glue it again?. It seems that it doesn't move without the glue. And if so what glue do you recommend?. I don't want to glue it so tight as it was.

It is kind of hard to glue with the wood chips under it.
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
I have fixed everything and it works fine now, no rattles and the Kharaj is not jumping out the groove.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
"Excellent" ! ! !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.