INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey ya'll-
It has to be really something to live under the shadow of Vilayat Khan. VK was so dazzling and brilliant that anyone in his circle would not really be concidered an equal , much less a peer.

As much as I absolutely LOVE VK-Sahib, I have to give my thoughts on his brother and cousin. Imrat and Rais are both INCREDIBLE Sitarist. I never tire of finding new recordings that have gone unheard by me and giving them a thorough study. I have seen Imrat Khan, and even met him....What a really great guy.......Lost in thought, sorry-ANYWAY, I have never seen Rais Khan, but I think both of these Sitarist are of great calibre and I personally think that they are of equal footing to VK-Sahib. I have put a couple of recordings in the Raga Mood box for listen by both....

I can't put my finger quite on it, but both of these performers have a real clarity and focus for the Gaiyaki ang......There is something lyrically exciting to both of these performers that I really appreciate.....Pay special attention to Rais Khan. Not only did he have the coolest beefcake pompador back in the day, but he is really one of the cleanest Sitarist I have ever heard....Take a new listen to these guys....So worth listening to.

Reply with quote  #2 
Josh
I totally agree. The much under-rated Rais Khan performed quite a bit for BBC TV in the 80s most of which I taped. There's an interview where he talks about 'pinching' a tune from a blind French accordionist while in Paris.
He is extremely lyrical too. I managed to find his Darbari Kanada just recently here, along with the Pahadi Piloo stuff with the guitarist.

Imrat Khan was a popular regular too. I have a lot more of his stuff from various UK TV channels both of whom I think I managed to get onto DVD last year. Small of stature but BIG in talent. There's a workshop in England with Nicholas Magriel on sarangi, Lateef Ahmed Khan on tabla & various western instrumentsplayers.
I got my 40 year old sitar from the guy who was his manager in the early 80s. Imrat Khan had also played it a little. OOOHHHHH I hear you say.

Nick
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
I also really like Rais Khan....what I like the most is his timing....sometimes he really plays out of time...totally against the taal...not exactly, 3, 4, or 5 notes in one beat....something in between, then going a little faster or slower and coming back in time.....really great!! and hard to copy....

Last year I saw a concert of him in Pune and that was really dissapointing...it almost destroyed my admiration for him....he was only doing fast taans and he would start something and then immediately start something else....not so great....but then when I listen to his older stuff, I really enjoy it....
coyootie

Reply with quote  #4 
imrat moved to St Louis some years back ,and has been ripping off his students in classical manner,many of whom abandoned him due to his character.......his playing ranges from sublime to quite gimmicky. it is much easier to wow western audiences by playing real fast than playing profoundly. one of his sons did a concert in st louis and started off at 200 miles an hour and then speeded up. 1/2 the audience left at the intermission becasue there was nothing worth hearing musically........i was amazed that largely non- connoisseurs picked up on it. a friend asked me,'is this guy just chops and no soul'?
sitarman

Reply with quote  #5 
Gee- sounds like the rock guitar scene lately....
subbarao1

Reply with quote  #6 
Rais Khan is VK's nephew, not his cousin, I thought. I listened to his Darbari lately. Not on the level of VKs, but a cut above Shujaat's (of whom I am fan).
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #7 
Same thing over here: two years ago I travelled to Germany to see Imrat Khan play (was my first surbahar concert): after the alaap he started to rattle away fast tanas (on surbahar) that sounded like crap; just flubberdeflubber, no clear notes at all. After about 10 minutes all of a sudden about 30 people stood up (at the same time!!) and left the hall. He stopped playing and told the audience a good concert was not only about the music but the audience as well.....

Remco
Jay M

Reply with quote  #8 
This is a great interview w/ Imrat Khan. I feel bad for him re: his falling out with Vilayak Khansahib and Shuujat. I heard a BBC audio of him playing and instructing an audience on indian classical music. It was a nice hour of playing and discussion, he did a very nice, playful version of Bilawal. I agree though.....his playing can run hot and cold and I think he is bitter about alot of things that happened in his life.

http://www.kavitachhibber.com/imrat_khan.html

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.