INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
I am trying to figure out what raga this is - the basic aroh is D is an important rest note but also G

'D, 'NS, Gm, R Gm, DNS'

S'ND, mG, Gm, mGRS'NS, 'D, 'D'NS

It may not actually be a Raga but I found my self playing it and wondered if it is actually a raga that I may have heard somewhere

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Are you using m for shuddh or tivra ma?

If the latter it has at least hints of Sohini, one of my recent favorite "pa-less" ragas. But that one uses komal re on descent, no re on ascent.
Kirya

Reply with quote  #3 
I am using m as Shuddha Ma - not sure what the convention is

It is used in both aroh and avroh

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
That's what I use too, although it does vary...mostly I've seen m shuddh M tivra but Rajan Parrikar reverses that practice so I was checking!

I used the "raga wheel" tool at oceanofragas.com to find these eight ragas that match at least the swara set you provided:

AdbhutKalyan
AmbaManohari
BhinnaRageshri
Chakradhar
DevakriyaBilawal
Garvapriya
Hansvinod
Udayravichandrika

Now I have to also say I'm not familiar with a single one of them, either!
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #5 
if ni is komal this is Gorakh Kalyan, one of my favorite pentatonic ragas, tanpura tuned to sa ma sa sa.
if ni is shuddh this could be Hemant, although there is a tiny sprinkle of pa in Hemant.

Just to be sure, what is the tanpura tuning? Is it Dha like marwa or Ma like Hemant?

Reply with quote  #6 
i have checked with http://www.swarganga.org 's raga finder and i have got rag chandrika which completely omits Pa in aroh and avroh.
Kirya

Reply with quote  #7 
I think this may be Malhua Kalyan -- just by chance I happened to watch this and it sounds very much like what I was doing (waaaaaay better of course) but the notes seem to be the right ones

Kirya

Reply with quote  #8 
Does anybody know where one could find a basic description of Raga Malhua Kalyan
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kirya"
Does anybody know where one could find a basic description of Raga Malhua Kalyan
Same tuning as raag Manj Khamaj. Pt. Nikhil Banerjee is the only one i've heard play this. I think he created it?

Reply with quote  #10 
Does anybody know the aroh and avrohi ? Or basic chalan

I see it mentioned that it is a blend of Malhua Kedar and Yaman (or Shuddha Kalyan)

There are also a few vocal versions out there so I don't think this is a Nikhil Banerjee invention.

It is just one of those that is off the beaten track. There is a famous old recording on sarod by Ustad Bahadur Khan that used to play on All India Radio

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.