INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
musicslug

Reply with quote  #1 
to all lovers of Dhrupad:

over the summer I assisted a retired space physicist from Bangalore, Chanchal Uberoi, to make a CD combining sounds picked up in space by various spacecraft, with Hindustani classical music.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ragasacrossspace

the CD contains 13 tracks, 6 of which are Dhrupad - 3 on rudra vina (yours truly), 1 vocal (Arijit Mahalanabis), and 2 by the group 'Pran', which plays Dhrupad on brass instruments (Greg Powers, the trombonist, studied with Fariduddin Dagar, among others. Stuart Dempster plays an instrument of his own design called 'brass didjeridu'; he is a master of circular breathing, so he creates a drone in the tonic that is rich in overtones - a beautiful way to get a brass tanpura-like effect).

not everyone's cup of tea, but I suspect some of the forumites might find it of interest. I was skeptical when I first heard Chanchal's concept, but ended up being quite pleased with the results.

Daniel
Nastika

Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you for the link. Quite interesting stuff, there's a certain appropriate-ness to these cosmic sounds pairing with this music.
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #3 
How can there be sound in outer space, where there is no air to act as a medium???

David
musicslug

Reply with quote  #4 
'the solar system is full of "sounds" - electromagnetic radiation in audio and radio frequencies'

'collections of charged particles (plasma) in the sun, planets' magnetospheres, and in space interact with the magnetic fields of the sun and the planets, generating electromagnetic radiation. this radiation is detected by instruments aboard spacecraft, and transmitted back to earth, where it can be converted to sound waves and thus audio'

(from the liner notes)

you're certainly correct that, absent air to vibrate, it's not audible in space (as the movie trailer for 'Alien' says, "in space noone can hear you scream") - I don't know to what extent the frequencies need to be 'transposed' in order to be audible to human ears. the University of Iowa has a large online database of these sounds, so there might be helpful information there.
musicslug

Reply with quote  #5 
interview with the creator of the CD, on the physics today site:

http://www.physicstoday.org/daily_edition/singularities/singing_with_the_heavens
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.