INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey All,

There is a new film (Documentary) about Hindustani Classical music.
Looks really interesting and has a huge list of incredible performers who participated.
http://www.ragaunveiled.com/home.htm

Check out the trailer here:
http://www.ragaunveiled.com/raga_unveiled_trailer.htm

There will be a screening in Los Angeles at Loyola Marymount University on Sunday, September 13, 3:00pm sharp. (1000 University Hall)

"From the makers of Yoga Unveiled comes a visually beautiful documentary that celebrates the artistry and origins of North Indian classical music. Raga Unveiled features together for the very first time in one dynamic film...

Ravi Shankar, Samir Chatterjee, Ashwini Bhide, Amjad Ali Khan, Ashok Ranade, Birju Maharaj, Purbayan Chatterjee, Ali Akbar Khan, Aarti Anklikar, Zakir Hussain, Subhash Kak, Ajay Chakravarti, Tanmoy Bose, Rajan Mishra, Vijay Kichlu, Kumar Mukherjee, Lalitha Ubhaykar, Nayan Ghosh, Bismillah Khan, Kishan Maharaj, Shivkumar Sharma, Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan, Veena Sahasrabudhhe, Bhimsen Joshi, Swami Yogatmananda, Swapan Chaudhari, Subhra Guha, Sabina Islam, Rakesh Chaurasia, Ronu Majumdar, Ram Ashray Jha, Gangubai Hangal, Arvind Parikh, Gundecha Brothers, Prabha Atre, Bhawani Shankar, Dinkar Kaikini, Ahmed Jan Thirakhwa, Amir Khan, George Ruckert, Yogesh Samsi, Padma Talwalkar, Allaudin Khan, SCR Bhatt, Jayant Kaustur, Steve Gorn, Yogesh Samsi, Allah Rakha, Kushal Das, Subhankar Banerjee, Prabha Atre, Shashank, Sudha Raghunathan, Shujaat Khan, Amit Mukherjee, Sangeeta Katti Kulkarni, Tejendra Majumdar, Mansi Majumdar, Fahimuddin Dagar, Debhashish Bhattacharya, Dr. Satya Narayan Dasa, Manjri Asnare and many more . . ."
John

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey, cw, thanks for the tip-off!

That does look interesting. Great to hear all those personal thoughts directly from many senior artists. I see the total running time is over 4 hours!!!

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Gita Desai has come up with a slick and tight production - and that's just the trailer. Looks like this be required and repeated viewing to all interested in this music. I'll be looking for this on DVD.

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
I'll be looking for this on DVD.
There's a link to buy the 2 DVD set on the site...

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
TNX ! I'm on it now !

Reply with quote  #6 
Without committing myself through the web site, is it possible to pay by PAYPAL as I'm in the UK????

Nick
Lars

Reply with quote  #7 
Carleton thanks for the link, looks interesting so I just bought one.... Nick maybe you can email them about Paypal, if I really like it I'll get some to carry on my site...

Reply with quote  #8 
OK & thanks.

Nick
povster

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lars"
Carleton thanks for the link, looks interesting so I just bought one.... Nick maybe you can email them about Paypal, if I really like it I'll get some to carry on my site...
Lars - if you do please lettuce know. I'd rather get it more local!

mike hooker

Reply with quote  #10 
i have the movie, and watched it twice. very well made, and quite interesting. i didnt realize i would learn so much from it about raga theory , structure, etc. i dont collect dvds anymore , i find they just pile up and never get watched again, there is always something new to watch. - if anyone wants it, 30 bucks. send me a PM.

be well, mike
povster

Reply with quote  #11 
PM sent, Mike. Hope you still have the DVD.
mike hooker

Reply with quote  #12 
the set i offered is spoken for, thanks
sangeetlover

Reply with quote  #13 
looks like a good film judging from the trailer....

what i don't understand is why was'nt the map of pakistan, afghanistan and bangladesh also shown in the beginning of the film.

Attitudes have changed, for the better. But it looks like some indians still have a problem with performers and artists who are not indian................... shame!!!!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #14 
So I received my copy last night.
It is actually very nicely done.
Interesting interviews with great artists, spectacular performances by great masters, and very nicely organized and explained.

I think this DVD is invaluable for any beginner (and everybody else too) to understand the terms and concepts of ICM and its history.
All aspects of ICM are beautifully explained.
Get it. You wont be disappointed.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.