INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Shreekant

Reply with quote  #1 
I am regular visitor to this forum but this is my first post in the forum.

I am Shreekant Shah and this is my attempt at Raga Pahadi on Hiren Roy Vintage Sitar. It includes slide show photos of sitar and my playing of Raga Pahadi. I have uploaded slideshow of sitar photos and my recording on Youtube. The Youtube link is

This is one of 2 Sitars that my Idol Pt. Nikhil Banerjee brought to University of Berkeley in mid-sixties. The Jiwari and overhauling was done by Tony Karasek (You can see his magic touch!!) I hope you like it.

I have recently retired and I would like to learn sitar further from any great sitar artist who is continuing legacy of my beloved artist Pt. Nikhil Banerjee like Pt. Kushal Das, or Pt. Partha Chatterjee or Pt. Purbayan Chatterjee. Any help, suggestions or guidance on how I can move forward will really be appreciated.

Thanks

Shreekant Shah
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #2 
BEAUTIFUL
what a soulful alap. One to sit quietly & just reflect on the beauties of life.
Would love to hear a full rendering of this wonderful raga.

The Hiren Roy ink label is a treasure.
And the masters hand is evident in the perfection refit & jawari performed by Sitarfixer.
His jawari is just magnificent - warm - creamy & sparkling.

Great effort sir .... I will keep this clip in my favorites rotation for sure.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #3 
Hamletsghost Thank you very much for the encouraging words It will definitely encourage me to practice more. I am also planning to put extended version of Raga Pahadi with tabla later on you tube.

Also thanks to Nick AKA trippymonkey for his nice comments on you tube To Answer Nick's question about the age of sitar here is the brief history.

I had bought this sitar from Prateek (a member of this forum) and I got this information about Sitar history from him. Before buying this sitar I had taken Tony's advice and he advised me to grab it asap, So I bought it. Again Tony thanks for your advice and it turned out to be a great sitar. May be Tony can shade more light on this!!. Tony mainly did the jiwari but the surface finish is original. This sitar was hardly used before so the neck is straight and finish is also very good.

Again thanks to Hamletsghost and Nick for your encouraging words!!

Any body knows sitar an artist here or in India who is continuing legacy of my beloved artist Pt. Nikhil Banerjee like Pt. Kushal Das, or Pt. Partha Chatterjee or Pt. Purbayan Chatterjee? As I would like to learn sitar further and for mevthere is a still long way to go!! Any help will be appriciated.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #4 
Shreekant,

I have taken lessons from Sri Partha Chatterjee several times.
He was with Nikhil Banerjee for about 12 years I believe.
He is an astoundingly good teacher.
He has a talent for explaining things in a understandable and beautiful way.
His playing is just as beautiful.
His son is amazing as well.

It was great fun to sit and listen to him play my sitar.
Every time I saw him he would try to convince me to sell it to him.
Makes me feel good about my sitar.
Shreekant

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks a lot Cwroyds. I really appreciate it. I will try to contact him. Can I get his contact information and can I give your reference when I talk to him?

Shreekant
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.