INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
why

Reply with quote  #16 
I am going to start Desh with you simultaneously so we can help each other. Got some of the "skeleton" but today I am asking for a shift for a month to "explore" this Raga. We have stayed in three Ragas (mainly ONE for some years now) for 2 years now, he says I understand Bhairavi or any Raga truly ~ i will get them all. So Bhairavi is what we do daily adding notes and phrases and "find" Ragas within it since all 12 notes can be used. I am going to ask for some Desh instruction to get us some phrases and better understanding. This may be a good idea ~ P.M. or if it doesn't bother forum members we can share info and sounds on this amazing yet technically challenging Raga? I love the fall on Re... Among other things
povster

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CheesecakeTomek"
I can taste it!....but....

Alas, media player on the link won't play, and apparently you need the special esnips downloader to download the file, which seems to be only for windows...

Let me know if there's something I'm doing wrong, but otherwise- is there a chance you can share the file another way? I would love to hear it.

-Tomek
hmm - try this.

http://www.mediafire.com/?li5jbezl2qw

CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #18 
Got it! This is great, thank you so much
why

Reply with quote  #19 
Who is playing?
povster

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "why"
Who is playing?
If you are referring to my last post here it is dhrupad vocalist and also vinkar Abid Hussain Khan. Here he is playing the rudra vin.

theprosperone

Reply with quote  #21 

Have you seen that? I thought it was a cool little video...
ragamala

Reply with quote  #22 
In the way of a resurrection of the topic, I was listening today to a vocal version I was so taken with I've uploaded this to

http://www.mediafire.com/?fzfhhtlzzmn

(in my mediafire ragamala vocal folder)

This is a Desh tappa from Saptak festival 1991 with Sultan Khan on sarangi (wonderful) and Kumar Bose on tabla, not to forget (though I might wish to) Chiranjilal Tanwar on harmonium.

I hope this is enjoyed by some of you as much as I have enjoyed it, short as it is... Girija Devi perhaps at a peak..... I can only imagine the earlier performance which hyped her and the audience particularly to their level of appreciation
amitsitar

Reply with quote  #23 
Rag Desh by sarod player Abhisek Lahiri

Lars

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CheesecakeTomek"
Dear fellow forumites,

The other week saw my introduction to raga Desh, and I am just head over heels for it. I have been given some basic exercises and the asthai of a vilambit gat, and I can't stop playing them. I really want to immerse myself in this one, and would like to ask for suggestions of nice recordings. I already have one of Nikhil Banerjee and Anindo Chatterjee (which I no doubt got from someone here), and also one of Pandit Jasraj. Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Tomek

Hi Tomek,
I don't know if you've seen it but we have a new DVD on Desh (sitar) that's pretty comprehensive, it may help you in your learning.
http://raincitymusic.com/sitarlessonsragadesh.htm

All the best,

Reply with quote  #25 
Thanks Lars, I certainly have browsed that title, and hope to pick it up in the future- the clip is so sweet :-) For now I still have a load of material from my teacher to work through, and we have recently moved into the sweetness that is jansam mohini. Keep it up with those DVDs man, they are jems!

-Tomek
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #26 
http://old.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindustani_instrumental/s/artist.2328/

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragamala
Vilayat Khan has some wonderful Desh performances to savour.

There's a great 88 minute perf I have no details on, forgot where it came from. And another 1989 Desh with Sabir Khan on tabla 45 mins.

But any Desh by UVK is worth a listen IMO. Try holistics excellent mediafire folder for a couple of versions.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2c219c6849e709688c9e7c56ba37815faed02802a6f81e95

Is it possible to update the mediafire link...
drutgat

Reply with quote  #28 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
There is a Sense recording of Pt. Pushparaj Koshti playing Des on (Dhurupad) Surbahar.

It's wonderful.

I really like this.

Thanks for the link.

In the comments section for the video on Youtube one of the commenters says, "On the poster it is not Pt. Manik Munde, he is Pt. Shrikant Mishra".

Do you have any idea whether it is actually Pt. Manik Munde on tabla or Pt. Shrikant Mishra?

geezerjazz

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesecakeTomek
Thanks Lars, I certainly have browsed that title, and hope to pick it up in the future- the clip is so sweet :-) For now I still have a load of material from my teacher to work through, and we have recently moved into the sweetness that is jansam mohini. Keep it up with those DVDs man, they are jems!

-Tomek

Hi Tomek of 2010! Can you tell me about jansam mohini? I cannot find it in any of my usual reference sources.
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #30 
Hey there! So I learned about it for a few months back in 2010, and it is not a raga that I have returned to very much, if at all, since then. I do think of it often, as it made a huge impact on me. My teacher at that time was not so much into talking about vadi, samvadi etc, so I can't really tell you about any of those ideas in regard to this raga - we were more in a "listen and play" situation. Still, I'll see if I can make some time to dig up my notes/lesson recordings and pull any insight.

In the meantime, I will offer up this recording, which I was listening to non-stop for a while back then:

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.