INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Sitarlove

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everyone,

I just picked up one of Ravi Shankar's Sitar Concerto's. I love it, it is my favorite of all the Ravi Shankar music I have heard. I especially like the third movement. In the cd cover Ravi Shankar says "The third movement is in the evening Raga Adana, where the tonic shifted to E." Does anyone know anything about this raga so I can play around on it? Currently I have all my sympathetic strings tuned so I can practice simple C scales, and I am tuned right in between F and F sharp on the first string. Thanks, as always, I appreciate any insight anyone might have!

Ian
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #2 
hi sitarlove,

you seam to be tuned a bit low. try tuning between c# and d, or between f# and g on the main string, i think you'll find the sound is popier and fuller.

best,

jf

Sitarlove

Reply with quote  #3 
Naad Das,

Ah! Thank you. I tuned up to c# and this does sound much better.

Ian
adunc069

Reply with quote  #4 
I found this on the web when I was looking for Gurjari Todi

Raag Adana

Swaras g,d,n (Gandhar, Dhaivat & Nishad Komal), Gandhar Varjya in Aaroh, rest all Shuddha Swaras
Jati Shadhav-Sampurna Vakra
Time (6 PM - 9 PM) : 2nd Prahar of the Night : Ratri ka Dwitiya Prahar
Vishranti Sthan
Mukhya-Ang m P d n S' - n S' - sd n P - m P - g m R S
Aaroh S R m P d n S'
Avroh S' n d n P - m P g m R S

Vishesh : The notes employed here resemble with notes of Raag Darbari-Kanada, with the difference that Gandhar (g) is forbidden in Aaroh. This Raag is rendered mostly in Madhya and Tar Saptaks unlike Darbari-Kanada, which is more deep and hence is rendered in Madhya and Mandra Saptaks (Octaves). In this Raag Komal Dhaivat (d) should not be repeated lest Raag Darbari-Kanada makes its appearance i.e. the combination of notes m P d d n P should not be employed with deep Gamak as this is a flittering dynamic type melodic form. The combinations S R m P - d n P s - m P S' d n P brings out this form and speedy rendering in Madhya & Tar Saptaks completes the melodic picture of the Raag.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.