INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
I have been playing around with Rag Hansadhwani and wondered if any of you know of any really good sitar recordings.
I have a Nikhil Banerjee Khamaj where he makes a short detour into Hamsadwani, but have not found too many others.

Actually it does not have to be a sitar recording.
Any suggestions?

For those of you who don't know it, it is originally a Carnatic Raga.
It is an evening Rag in Bilawal Thaat
There is no Ma or Dha.
All other notes are shuddha.

It is very melodious and beautiful.
daz199

Reply with quote  #2 
there is one w/ hariprasad + zakir hussain that will knock your socks off, a lot of good vibes and interplay between them..in fact the whole album is amazing (it's called 'possession')

theres also a recording of just that raag by NB (gats only)
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #3 
Probably the last word on Hamsadhwani, Amir Khan's jai mata vilamba and tarana+couplet:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/9dd2ae81-4e36-4f10-a4c3-4a9c65bde543/Amir-Khan---Hamswadhwani

You could probably do worse than to study his bolalaaps and try to reproduce them on the sitar for study.

Reply with quote  #4 
Jaan, thanks.
That Amir Khan is incredible.
I guess one should always go to the great vocal recordings first.
That one is beautiful.

Daz, I will poke around the net for that NB recording.
I love finding NB recordings that I have not heard yet.
luvdasitar

Reply with quote  #5 
There is a Hamsadhwani by Ustad Imrat Khan on esnips. Then there is one by Ustad Shahid Parvez, this one can be found on raaga.com.
It is a custom in carnatic music (and among some Hindustani musicians as well) to start a concert with Hamsadhwani. It is very difficult to be innovative with this raaga. I remember Ustad Shahid Parvez ji remarking that "forget instrumentalists even vocalists have difficulty expressing themselves on this raaga...but Ameer Khan Sahib was one who could bring out its colors beautifully ". Of course he went on to play a really wonderful Hamsadhwani himself. I wish I had the recording. :-(
Kanti Dattani

Reply with quote  #6 
I have the following recordings of the raga Hansadhwani. (Only four on sitar)
Email kantidattani@aol.com for details. I am not in music business and don't sell cds. They are cheaper in India and US. I am in UK.

Ajoy Chakrabarty vocal 30 minutes A01059
Amir Khan vocal 18 NR091/92 - 20 CDNF150138
Amjad Ali Khan sarod 7 CDNF150123 - 10 BMG50549
Anupriya violin/Mukesh Sharma sarod 14 wb008
Ashwini Bhide vocal 11 Kabir Bhajan NR096
Bapat Ulhas santoor/Narayan Mani veena 11 D4HI2310
Bhatt VM guitar/Daya Shankar shehnai/Tarun Bhattacharya santoor PSLP5768
Bhatt VM guitar 12 SIC010 - 11 M94014
Chembai vocal 6 CDNF147732
Deepak Ram flute 13 GHP017
Gayathri veena 7 SIC015
GHULAM Mustafa vocal 22 SVC016
Hariprasad Chaurasia flute 23 Pan Music 073A 073B - 15 A99031B - 54 AC1051
Janaki vocal 13 D5CV5034
Jasraj vocal 34 BMG50662
Jayaraman vocal 7 PSLP5685
Kabra Brij Bhushan guitar 11 SP83388
Kala Ramnath violin 8 NC0009
Kishori Amonkar vocal 75 BMG50892
Parween Sultana vocal 17 SWM089
Parween/Dilshad vocal 22 AAMS185
Pravin Godkhindi flute 21 DXL230258
Purbayan Chatterjee SITAR & Jayanthi Kumaresh veena 15 SWM100
Raghunath Seth flute 19 C4HI0071- 9 KYT704
Rajan & Sajan Mishra vocal 60 SWM058
Rakesh Chaurasia flute 73 sr111
Ramani N flute 7 D5CI5011
Rashid Khan vocal 20 A92061 - 31 S300172
Ravikiran gotuvadyam 7 SN15987
Ravishankar SITAR 10 ANGEL67024
Ronu Majumdar flute 17 VIS1003 - 16 D4HG701
Ronu flute/Sangeeta Shankar violin 8 VIS1004
Ronu flute/Tarun Bhattacharya santoor 24 D4HI0678
RONU flute/Kadri Gopalnath saxophone 50 swm101
Sachdev GS flute 12 CDT121 Festival of India - 12 CP105
Shahid Parvez SITAR 15 A92080
Shamim A SITAR 16 C4HI0068
Shankar L violin 19 ecm1397
Shivkumar Sharma santoor 22 DECCA - 60 VEDA17
Shivkumar/Rahul Sharma santoor 62 NC0016
Srinivas mandolin 8 SP85189 - 9 D5CI5018
Subramanium L 15 AAMS112 - IRIS3001
Tarun Bhattacharya santoor 8 CDT139
Veena Sahasrabuddhe vocal 11 NR167

Kanti
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #7 
I have a 30 minute Nikhil piece that starts right as he's starting his fast gat section. I don't have the rest, for thats all I could salvage from the reel to reel, but it really smokes. I can file share with you if you have a mac, or know someone that does.

Reply with quote  #8 
Hamsadwani ragaThe swan song) The most famous composition in Carnatic music is known as ' Vadapi gana pathi bhaje ham' by the great composer Muthuswani Deekshithar (lived 1776-1835) which may be available in vocal singing or in violin or veena. Lots of musicians have sung it. Why not listen to a recording by the world famous singer called K.J. Jesudas (from Kerala state, India. He has sung in most Indian languages and recorded thousands of songs) or his guru called Chempai Vaidya Nadha Bhagavatar.This prayer for the lord Ganesh is sung at the beginning of a concert in southern India.
This raga has arohan SRGPNS, avarohan SNPGRS
All ragas in Hindustani music were adapted from the Carnatic music, which have been sometimes modified and most re-named, but not the Hamsadwani raga. Hamsam means swan, dwani means sound. One could say that it is the 'song for or song of the swan'.
I have the complete music notes of this composition for the vocalists, to do it with English alphabets for sitar would be a big job.
haldamos

Reply with quote  #9 
Tough one to play well on the sitar. Great compositon, that famous one. Apparently, not very many vocalists know it in its entirety.

Reply with quote  #10 
Yes, it is tough to play cleanly as the skips from Ga to Pa to Ni are a big stretch for your fingers.
And for Sapat taans it is hard for the same long skips.
But once you get used to it it is not really that hard.

It is funny, you would think that a Raga with less notes in the scale would be easier than a fully loaded one, but in reality the bigger skips make them far more difficult to execute.
bosmart

Reply with quote  #11 
I remember a concert by Ustad Imrat Khan during which he played his own composition in Hansadwani: an ektal gat on the Big Ben theme. Not so difficult to play although it doesn't go much beyond the practical joke. Try it out to surprise your friends! It won't beat Amjad Ali's Christmas carols but it will raise a good laugh.
Hans Bosma
Paris
France
charijit

Reply with quote  #12 
There is an album, raag hamsdhwani or only hamsdhwani performed by Pandit Shivkumar Sharma. Apart from that for learning purpose I believe you can listen to Ganapatah vighana harana by Kishori Amonkar or the rendition by Ustad Amir Khan. There is also a performance by Parveen Sultana, but I wouldn't want to follow that right in the beginning.
When I first heard Ustad Vilayat Khan play sitar in the gayiki style, I was frustrated. But the main strength of Ustad-ji, use of reverberation/physical interference is actually perfect bothways. Wah Ustad Wah!
shanky717

Reply with quote  #13 
can anyone play 22 shruti on flute?
Kirya

Reply with quote  #14 
In addition to the Amir Khan Jai Maata Vilambe which is seminal I also like the following vocal renditions:

Kishori Amonkar who has several others that are also worth checking out

Sanjeev Abhyankar who has a very nice vilambit presentation

Ravi Shankar has a nice and unique view of this raag that is worth checking out:

And I thought this was quite fun:

The Lagi Lagan bandish is one everybody sings/plays and is worth studying closely - I think this is the original

Kirya

Reply with quote  #15 
And of course, how could you miss the 1000 sitar version here:

The Lagi Lagan bandish has really deeply influenced how this raag is played in North India  and I submit this as proof

Here is a nice Carnatic presentation which shows the Lagi Lagan also has roots here:

This  is a Dhrupad presentation where they give you an hour long version http://www.iicdelhi.in/webcasts/view_webcast/a-mehfil-with-dagarbani-maestro-pandit-uday-bhawalkar/

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.