INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
daz199

Reply with quote  #1 
Do you associate ragas with certain colours?
There are some that i can totally imagine being only one colour in my mind.., and also fill my mind with that colour

for instance
[size=150]
Bhairivi - red like a rose
Jog - A Deep dark vibrant purple
Puriya Kalyan - also purple
Bageshri - A vibrant blue
Malkauns - a stormy greyish blue
Jaunpuri, Charukeshi
Yaman - A light blue
Pilu - brown...
[/size]

can anybody else relate? or am i just going crazy :?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Yes and why not. An excellent point. 8)

ICM is associated with ALL kinds of things such as time of day, time of year etc.

Once, while watching Sesame Street many years ago, a sound of thunder was described to a deaf person as PURPLE.

Raga means That which Colours the Mind after all.

People could post their colour associations here too.

Darbari Kanada = Regal Orange or light purple
Yaman = Yellow
Lalit = Sharp Red Ochre
Gujri Todi = Bright Red
Rageshri = a Cheeky Blue
Bhairavi = a loving light brown
Mian Ki Malhar = Rainy Gray

BTW You ARE crazy like me

Nick
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #3 
Raag does literally mean 'that which colours the mind', but it is also to true to say that that which colours the mind is different to that which colours the eye.

Of course, 'colouring' here is figurative, what is really meant is 'that which impresses upon the mind (through sound) its own distinct sensation'.

I tend to get a sensation for a particular ragas samay when I hear it, for example Desi for me is an out and out morning invoking raga, but for some reason I have not so far felt a particular colour assocication to a raga; I will still give it a go: Todi = Yellow for some inexplicable reason!

Reply with quote  #4 
I agree with the time association element. It is particularly strong for some ragas, at least for me. Bhairav at night or Malkauns at dawn evoke the same "wrong place, wrong time" feeling as a walk on Rue St Catherine (pick the Night Club district of your choice) in the morning.

Colours ? I am not quite sure. Asa is wholesome, fresh milk white . Darbari is scotch n soda brown.

sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #5 
Some people 'see colors' when they hear a particular music or even certain words. Ive heard about this man who saw specific shapes and colors in reaction to seeing or thinking about numbers. this kind of synestesia [for correct spelling please advise a dictionary ] is prety rare but when someone has it he is considered lucky. Its a great intellectual advantage.
so good for you daz199 - you are blessed.

and about my association - I agree with trippy monkey about the raga yaman being prety much yello.

Reply with quote  #6 
yellow? you guys are crazy!

thx for the compliments sitar junky 8)
sitarman

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey, I must have quit doing bongs too soon!!
sitarman

Reply with quote  #8 
OK- couldn't resist a little humor... Actually I have often associated certain keys in Western music with colors- D being more red and A more yellow.
daz199

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
Hey, I must have quit doing bongs too soon!!
nothing wrong with that :wink:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.