INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
miniyar

Reply with quote  #1 
Now I understood that ascending, descending notes, Vadi, Samvadi are
building blocks of Raga and majority of Raaga melodies are improvised.

If one does not have talent to create melodies [ which I guess you acquire after decades of training ] or have benefit of direct teacher , are there sources to get already composed melodied [ gat ] in different Raagas? :?:

Does any bod have collection of Gats ? Can you share it on forum?

Also what are parts of Gat ? [ Antatra etc ? ] What is meaning of these parts?

Once you get composition of Gat, What do you do? Do you memorise the entire sequence of notes? [ Could take massive memory and human IQ ] or there are some other techniques to remember to play?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
adunc069

Reply with quote  #2 
There's a couple of things in the rags & compositions section of this forum. there's Vilayat Khan's Sham Kalyan, I posted a Rageshree. I personally think theory, when trying to grasp an understanding for the music, is a really big distraction. All of your quesstinos will be answered by learning something. The VK gat with tans is a really good place to start. How the notes ascend, descend, how the tans are made, all the answers are in the music. That particular gat is not complicated, but his tans are pretty meaty.
daz199

Reply with quote  #3 
i saved a lot of the stuff posted here
pm me your email adress and i'lll send it over
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "miniyar"
If one does not have talent to create melodies [ which I guess you acquire after decades of training ] or have benefit of direct teacher , are there sources to get already composed melodied [ gat ] in different Raagas? :?:
Hello Miniyar, I suggest "The Ragas of north India" by Walter Kaufmann. It contains extensive and understandable chapters on theory, raag, taal and structure. The book explains all the component parts ie: asthayi, antara, vadi, samvadi, anhuvadi and the larger framwork of alap, jod, jhalla as presented in different styles of Indian music like Dhrupad and Khyal. In addition it has hundreds of Gats in standard Western notation classified by raga many with examples from different angs. This is a very scholarly book written by a man with extensive training and background in Indian Music he was director of All India Radio for 14 years as well as a practioner and scholar of Vedanta and wrote on Indian philosopy. The book can be expensive if its still out of print it can range from $60 to $300!!! Luckily many University libraries carry copies so use the university interlibrary loan system or visit in person and photo copy some Gats.

To address some of your other questions from my limited knowledge; A complete gat will contain all the component parts of the raag in a capsule form. Memorizing gats is not to difficult they usually extend for one or two cycles of the taal and make perfect "sense" usually pretty melodies that can be sung and stick in your head. My Ustad always taught the Gat after assigning me the thaat to practice on my own. The gat then became the basis on which the taans or melodic "riffs" were strung. These were not improvised but were a way of training me to develop facility within the structure of the raag. Gats are also repeated literally thousands of times so memorizing will not be a problem indeed the opposite will be the case, how to get one out of your head. The study and practice of Indian music takes years measured in decades. Its not expected or very common for a begining to intermediate student to be able to expound a raag with correct emotion for many years. I believe its a process of emotional development, how can one truly convey deep longing or love lost if one is too young to have experienced it? It comes with time and remember to learn and be ready to do is a very Western concept where mastery of an art is defined by degree programs or limited time frames by verifiable and reproducable criteria. My advice is to relax, practice thaats and pick some easy gats like yaman or kafi. These ragas are available in a multitude of recordings so absorbing the emotional color and the defining characteristics will be much easier than trying to learn a raga recorded once and attributed to Padma Sambhava as sung on a Himalayan mountain during the great deluge. I appreciate your enthusiasm but my caution is that there is no quick way to learn Indian music. Practice what you know, do not be shy to take a Western teacher and patiently practice if its in your future you will find the appropriate teacher. Play gat 1 million times and it will be cool. ps I don't know anything.

Reply with quote  #5 
Miniyar,
AbdulLatif tells it like it is! In other words- it takes time and practice to understand the raga and then, once the ascending, descending modes, and gat is memorized, it forms the basis of the improvisations. However, this is not like western classical music in that memorization will lead to a performance! Improvising on the "patterns" of each raga requires both "learned" knowledge and inborn "musical creativity"- the ability to create melody using the building blocks. Not everyone has this ability, and those who do have it in different quantities. Only time and practice will reveal how much ability one has to make a raga performance more than a perfect imitation of someone else's performance. Hopefully, after hearing and playing a "sequence" or gat many many times, and listening to several masters interpretation of the raga, your mind will create new ways to hear it and, if you've practised enough to have a good technique, that will translate to your fingers.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.