INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #1 
Puriya dhanashree uses the same swaras as raag Shri. One distinct feature of Shri is it's use of komal re -> pa, very easy to spot. what makes Shri so different from Puriya dhanashree is the importance of komal re and ni, respectively. Also Puriya dhanashree ascent is ni komal re gha, so sa re gha would not be used. In your indicated Phrase, I can assume re and dha are komal and ma is teevra?

Reply with quote  #2 
This is definitely Raag Shivaranjani. Sa Re ga (Ga) Pa Dha Sa. If you like it, listen to it on Bansuri - there are plenty of examples as this Raag favors the flute. One of my favorites; mysterious, somber and enchanting Raag. The use of both gandhar really make it hypnotic because it goes back and forth between Shivaranjani and Bhupali.

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AsianGirl"
It has confused me ...
This sure has confused me, for several reasons, Firstly the link you gave isn't complete so doesn't work, not your fault, apparently, a seems a glitch with the forum system to do with brackets, but second - after finding the "album" - the song 3 is Kahiyo Prabhu Su .Bhakhi Ho, which sounds in straight Bhairavi

Now I'm puzzled because you gave a "sargam" starting after 10.00, I can't even find sargam in that track 4 Jaagat Jot Japei Nis Baasar, and what's worse I can't see how Shivranjani can be confused with Shree??????? The R is komal in shree, shuddha Ga and komal dha, and vice versa for all three in pentatonic shivranjani .

This would be enough for my ear, to make these two ragas very distinctively different, but also no Ma or Ni in Shivranjani, both prominent especially in ascent in Shree.

But thanks for the links, I always enjoy a bit of Sikh music..
ragamala

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi AsianGirl

Sorry to have added further confusion. I posted then realised I had got things muddled because of taking track 3 as the one I was interested in. This is in Bhairavi. Track 4, the track you correctly named, does seem indeed to be Shivranjani.

And As I found, the link problem wasn't of your making!

Anyway hopefully chrisitar's contribution cleared this up, rather more succinctly than my own bumbling.

best
Alan
ragamala

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Thank you Ragamala for your reply once again ...
So according to yourself-Song/Track number 3 is of Raag Bhairavi-regardless of the Sargam/Svaras 'Sa Re Ni Sa Ga Ma Pa Dha Pa' at 11:30?...
Yes, and I would regard gMPdP as a typical Bhairavi phrase. So because of, rather than in spite of!

Quote:
What about Songs/Tracks numbers 1 and 2?...
ragamala

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Thank you Ragamala ...
Go on!!!Track numbers 1 and 2? ...
1 Desh but I'm not sticking my neck out on 2 yet - these light ragas all fuse into one another after a while.... ops:
ragamala

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:

Cheeky sod ...
:roll:

What I mean is my ageing brain just forgets the melodic differences, especially between the array of ragas based as here in this one in Khamaj Thaat
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #8 
Im afraid I cant distinguish track 2, like ragamala said, the many variants of Khamaj melodies tend to blend together.

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Ragamala i have a feeling Track number 2 is the Raag Saurath of the Khamaaj Thaath...
Would make sense I suppose, since saurath is one of the basic "Sikh ragas". I'll take a listen.

In the meantime maybe we should call in the experts.

jaan e kharabat - where are you when we need you?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.