INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
norumba

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone have some details on this raga, based on the whole-tone scale?

Doesnt seem to be widely known or practiced. The only recording I know of is Mehdi Hassan's ghazal 'Jab Tere Nain Muskurare Hain' ...Im curious of any performance rules and practices or other known recordings to check out...
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #2 
That ghazal is the only time I have ever heard this raga.

Reply with quote  #3 
This raga is invented by sultan khan saheb.

he has accompanied mehdi hassan in the above ghazal
Christianamr

Reply with quote  #4 
I was just trying to find info about the whole tone scale on Google , which directed me back here again . 8)

There is also the carnatic raga Gopriya :
" A janya raga of shadava variety derived from the 62nd mela Rishabhapriya. Panchama varjya raga. This raga is prevalent in Western music, popularised by French composer Debussy and the scale is Debussey’s scle. The interval between the note in this scale is whole tone or full tone. Svaras taken by this raga are Sa, Chatusruti Ri, Antara Ga, Prati Ma, Sudha Dha, and Kaishiki Ni. A minor vivadi raga with few compositions. "

CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #5 
Wow! I have been wondering for some time if the whole-tone scale existed in raga music. I can't wait to listen to this later tonight.
Christianamr

Reply with quote  #6 
I also have listened to this ghazal today for the first time .
I found also some nice comments on youtube :

" Mehdi Hassan has converted an impossible task to possible by singing this unsingable raag. This is amazing! "

" What Raga is this ghazal in? becuase the DNRS reminds me of Darbari, but it doesn't sound like Darbari Kanada at all.
I'm confused. " :mrgreen:

" This is a raga called 'Sehera' so named after the 'seher'= desert of Rajasthan. The notes of this raga are so NOT melodic that its only sung in the form of compositions for funerals or tragedy music in movies or soundtracks. Ustad ji decided to take this challenging raga and transform it into a melodic ghazal by creatively experimenting with the notes i.e. suppressing the off-tune sounding notes over the harmonious ones. Very very interesting concept and an even more brilliant composition. "

After having listened to this piece , I will think twice before categorizing " Ghazal " as easy or light music ... ( Btw I like light music a lot )

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.