INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
One of the wonderful things about being an ICM music student today is the large amount of material that one can easily access when one is exploring a raag. When I started many years ago the only way to get access to multiple versions of a raag is if you had a large record collection or had a friend at AIR.

I find that having this access makes it easier to learn new material, even without a teacher, since teachers often just play and have you try and imitate them at more advanced stages (with feedback of course which is invaluable).

But the web now offers so much great content that it is possible to get really good foundations on a raag by going to a bunch of pieces that are easily available.For Raag Kirwani I did not even need to step outside of YouTube.

If you are not familiar with Kirwani going through these clips will give you a pretty good idea and launch your own explorations. I think listening (actually studying would be a better word) to alaap by great players is a great way to learn as you get the key melodic clusters clearly identified.

I started on this raga by learning from the Indrajit Banerjee DVD which I heartily recommend

I really liked this bit on YT, especially the slower part between 3' and 7' where the focus is on the bhava of the raag and less on the technical virtuosity. (I have a really strong preference for keeping the raag presentation above all else). The slow gat (part 2) is also very good but I find the fast bits much less satisfying aesthetically since I think the raag image gets kind of lost in the whirr of sound.

#t=760

This one by Renuka Gambhir is also very useful as a learning aid I think because it builds slowly and can be studied :

This guy from Greece is also pretty good even though he is technically not as accomplished as USP and others and his jod is pretty unstructured and loose (and wrong technically?) - he still gets a great Kirwani mood built up.
This shows that you don't have to be a master to be able to touch on the mood of the raag.

I also think that it is always good to have a vocal piece or two (sometimes an old Bollywood song) to model and learn the key raag phrases and also give you ideas on your own gats which can be variations of these songs and bandishes.

Aswhini Bhide

This one I find is especially wonderful to learn core melodic phrase structures by Rashid Khan

I also find that it is very useful to go the old masters and listen to what they do to get compositional architectural ideas and expand one's vision on how the raag can be presented e.g.

Ali Akbar Khan

This one can make me weep - it is so beautiful. I wish he had made a longer version on that day. Nikhil Banerjee
Listen to how the complexity gradually builds up after a very simple and clear outline/foundation is laid down. IMO The amazing technical virtuosity is at the service of the raag and not to show off and get applause.

This little clip from a 1970 Amjad Ali is also very special and worth careful repeated listening and study

There are many other great versions by Shivkumar, HPC, Krishna Bhatt, 3' version by PRS and many "amateurs" who upload stuff into Youtube and I am sure you may have your own favorites.

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #2 
My Dear Friend & Mentor Patric Marks played a number of wonderful variations of Kirwani.
Unfortunately he recorded very little.
Attached is his media page - As you scroll down you will find a lecture demonstration at the University of Illinois Champagne. there are 2 segments that highlight Kirwani.
Farther down is a clip from an IAMA banquet from the 80's where he performs Kirwani. How do i know 80's you ask?
Because one of my old speaker stacks is seen off to the side
I retired that setup in 85 so it's prior to that - could be all the way back in 83.
I was still learning a LOT about reproducing the nuances of the sitar.

ENJOY

http://patric-marks.com/media.html

Reply with quote  #3 
https://mio.to/album/23-Classical_Hindustani_Instrumental/235582-Raga_Kirwani/#/album/23-Classical_Hindustani_Instrumental/235582-Raga_Kirwani/

This is one of my favorites, Ust. Bahauddin Dagar plays Kirwani on the Rudra Veena. This is the only Dhrupad performance of this raga i've ever heard. Shines a whole new light on the melody.

Reply with quote  #4 
Of Course I like the Nikhil Bannerjee - Very soulful.
But the Amjad Ali take is a very special piece - No tricks - no acrobatics - just a beautiful lyrical piece of art that touches the heart and transports you to a special place.

Bravo Kirya & Chris - thanks for these clips of one of my favorite raaga's.

The Ghost 8)

Reply with quote  #5 

This is one I particularly like. This fella (may his soul rest in peace) hardly gets a mention. Probably not considered worthy or what ever.

I think he is right up there with the rest of the big names.
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #6 
I like this one a great deal

Carl
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #7 
Here's one of my favorites.

This is the one Patric gave me on disc years ago when I was learning the basic Kirwani gats.
Abdul Halim Jaffir Khan at his best.
Talk about fireworks

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks HG for AHJKhan clip. I enjoyed that, shame it wasn't longer.
gillo

Reply with quote  #9 
Here's a concert of Ustad Shahid Parvez I filmed in 2011... most of the performance is there in bits and pieces...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.